Be vewy vewy quiet...

Cainan

FBI b/c if it is on the net, it is interstate. Most state PDs also have division dealing with ID theft, so I would go there next.

As you may be aware, the FBI prioritized and restructured its approach to cyber crime, in its many forms, a little more than two years ago, with the establishment of the Cyber Division.

source

FBI safty tips

Some useful links from another source

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you :)

after work i'll be dealing with it more. i've had way too many calls on it already.

why does it seem every year at this time i need to deal with the law & RAMD?? :rock:

either way ~ i'm done with the place. my own personal wall is now up so high again. i hate that feeling of betrayal, and this is about as bad as it gets.

Are they going to fire the mods when soemone new buys DCP?

can i ask how we would have any idea of that if we have no idea who is buying it? :rock:

can we use some logic on this one?

none of us are fortune tellers.

thank you :)

after work i'll be dealing with it more. i've had way too many calls on it already.

why does it seem every year at this time i need to deal with the law & RAMD?? :rock:

either way ~ i'm done with the place. my own personal wall is now up so high again. i hate that feeling of betrayal, and this is about as bad as it gets.

You really have nothing to worry about.

All that poster has done has put your name and email address in the settings of their newsgroup reader. Anyone can do that.

And that is why, I'm sure, the police aren't taking it seriously.

Don't sweat it. Just unsubscribe to RAMD and you'll feel better.

thank you Poo

like i said i'll find out more when i go by after work

and i already swore the other nite i wasn't going back. the only reason i have is because of the #### phone calls i've gotten at home over the new #### on there. <_<

FBI b/c if it is on the net, it is interstate. Most state PDs also have division dealing with ID theft, so I would go there next.

Our local PD has a guy who does that...and he interfaces with the FBI and State Police a lot. I just finished a Citizen Police Academy course in town that took us through the workings of our local PD, and he did a session on identity theft and predators.

Mike

FBI safty tips

Some useful links from another source

Thanks for this information. I'm always researching the latest cyber laws, and now there are also a lot of laws about people stalking others by using blogs and other means to do so. The things people do because they are miserable, or whatever their problem is. :rock:

I'm just glad I never posted over there at RAMD.

And the people who keep wishing that moderators here would "get fired", how can you get fired from a volunteer position? Besides, wouldn't you want some kind of moderation, I mean do you really want a "free for all" type thing over here?

I sure hope not...I believe in the 1st amendment as much as the next person, but lines have been crossed before in that.

Edited by Lancerlady

And the people who keep wishing that moderators here would "get fired", how can you get fired from a volunteer position? Besides, wouldn't you want some kind of moderation, I mean do you really want a "free for all" type thing over here?

I sure hope not...I believe in the 1st amendment as much as the next person, but lines have been crossed before in that.

As I said a while ago, the Prodigy site worked well essentially unmoderated, but that was probably before the creeps became so sophisticated. Imagine stealing Bill Cook's financial identity from a drum corps newsgroup. b**bs

Personally, I'm pretty libertarian so yes, I'd rather see self-restraint triumph over regulation. I don't like typing this knowing that one of several people could delete it just because they don't agree with it.

I'd like to see some restrictions placed on the moderators' authority. I'd like to see some code of conduct for the mods that says "you should close/delete posts under these specific circumstances................, all others MUST be left alone" I'd also like there to be some way to appeal a moderator's decision. I'd definitely like to stop the "drive-by" closing of threads, you know, where the moderator has the last word on the subject and then closes the thread. I think Mike New understood the hypocrisy of that behavior.

I think the qualifications of the moderators should also be spelled out. For the most part, I've got no gripe with the mods who are fairly mature (both chronilogically and emotionally) and have been involved in some capacity with the activity over a period of years. The issues I see tend to happen with the younger and/or non-drum corps mods.

There is a way to appeal moderator decisions; that's what Rich is for.