How do the Boston Crusaders work?

They will have a one day camp in December in Boston but their Thanksgiving camp will be in Florida.

After that, most of their training camps are held in Florida.

Does Boston get most of its members from Florida or New England?

Obviously their recruiting has been successful over the years, but are the Crusaders no longer getting most of their members from the area they historically represent?

I am from Indiana originally, but I grew in the Chicagoland metro area. Going from Indiana to Rosemont or Rockford (or even Madison) is a piece of cake. But if any of the corps in that area told me that after I auditioned, all of the camps would be in Louisiana or Texas, I would have been left scratching my head.

its really people from all around, but a good number of them are from the new england area <santa>

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe she would rather the corps not exist at all.

Why do you say that?

Either way, BAC is getting the numbers they need to stay a full size corps. Yes a good number are Florida cats. I marched with a few of them in Teal before they moved up. I am still kicking around auditioning in 07'. So at least one kid from New England might be in the contra line. :P

Edited by Phirefenix

hmm....I'm sure the Cavies get most of their members from the Village of Rosemont, too.

You are correct in that there is a Boston area audition camp (in Lynn, MA) for the local kids and a Florida camp for everyone else. Having the winter weekend camps in FL worked out great for the corps last year, due to the huge snowfall/blizzard problems that New England had throughout Jan/Feb/March. I, myself drove some of the Maine members (there were five last year) to the airport in driving snowstorms and the kids were able to rehearse OUTSIDE in 70 degree sunshine once they got to Florida.

And, the move-in in June is in the greater Boston area. As is usually the case, the members (AND STAFF) come from all over the country. The board of directors, alumini corps, and the corps office all all based in Boston. (And, contrary to urban legend expressed on DCP, the corps office is NOT just a mail drop. It is a real office with a full time officer manager.)

So there you have it. I'm sure all the kids who were born and brought up in Santa Clara, CA who are currently marching in the Vanguard would agree. :)