• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't like it, but only because it messes up the recordings. I don't want to hear the announcer while there is music being played. It pulls me out of the moment frankly.

You might be right, can't recall. Wouldn't have like that either :)

Just wondering what everybodys opinions are about The Cadets' openers when they play before they are announced, as in 1989, 2003, and 2005. Not sure if there are more, but is probable.

I really like it. Different, and you know it is The Cadets.

I agree with you that it's different.. but it's not my preference. I like it when a show has a defined beginning (whatever it is.. soft.. loud.. silent.. just defined).

I thought I remember there being a comment at one time from Hop that they considered that sixty seconds usable as a visual warmup, as well as a musical one.. so it makes sense.. I just wish they'd do a snippet of music, unrelated to the show while the announcer is talking.. and then end.. then start the show.

I do find it interesting, though.. they don't put other corps "warmups" on the CD's and videos.. but I think DCI is compelled to include this additional minute of warmup/show because it's often related to the show.. that's a minute more "playtime" on audio/video recordings.. If that was considered, it's shrewd business, IMO. :)

Stef

Personally I love it, especially this past year with Twisted Nerve. I found it extremely effective. Think of it as the opening credits for a movie. The soundtrack has already started, and the mood of the movie serves to set the tone for the rest of the movie that you're about to see. In that way, I think the Cadets' intros in '03 and '05 did a wonderful job of setting up the show that was to follow.

Plus, Twisted Nerve is just a great piece. :)

i like it, i think it's a cool effect. i think they could've done without the narration at the beginning of the show. i thought that if you knew the title of their show you could pretty easily tell what was going on... that little blurb at the beginning added nothing.

I thought I remember there being a comment at one time from Hop that they considered that sixty seconds usable as a visual warmup, as well as a musical one.. so it makes sense..

Guess he was watching '95 Glassmen (Little Fugue in G Minor), '96 Glassmen (Stars and Stripes Forever) and '01 Empire Statesmen (All the Way) for examples of musical/visual warm-ups. :D