Shakos v Hats

Greetings. With the growth and changes to the look, sound, and performance of drum corps, I was just wondering if you all think that shakos are starting to look out of place. Corps repetoires vary from rock, jazz, classical, etc. Some guard performers now perform ballet moves and other dance styles from various decades. Even the musicians, on occasion, can be seen performing dance-like steps. We now have amplified pits and singing and narrating. Some corps have elaborate props and some guards no longer spin just rifles and sabres any longer. Most shows now have a story to tell or at least a theme.

So, my question is, do you prefer the traditional plumed shakos (I admit Bluecoats look great), or do you think the kind of alternative hat ala Crossmen, Scouts, Cavaliers, Troopers goes better with today's drum corps shows. :)

Oops! I meant Bluecoats' helmets. Thanks for correcting me.

Edited by GuitarMan

Style is style... You have corps that wear particular things... The "alternative" hats didn't just come into play because music changes... those are groups that have always used those... It just really depends on what type of style your corps is... Unless you are Star of Indiana or The Cadets, uniforms (especially shakos) shouldn't change based on music... thats just my opinion...

I prefer the look of Aussies when combined with the right uniform, but IMO they are no more 'suitable' to the new drum corps style than the shako.

Ya, Bluecoats wear helmets...and you forgot the quintessential aussie wearing corps in your list: SCV!

Does anyone make a distinction between the slightly elongated shakos that the Cadets wear and the standard type. Or all they both considered "shakos?"

You call that a shako?! THIS is a shako!

May the biggest shako win.

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it poor form to steal another site's bandwidth in such quantities like that without at least directing people to the source of your image first? Then again, you may be BD's webmaster, in which case no foul.

Edited by vaguardguy