Shakos v Hats

Greetings. With the growth and changes to the look, sound, and performance of drum corps, I was just wondering if you all think that shakos are starting to look out of place. Corps repetoires vary from rock, jazz, classical, etc. Some guard performers now perform ballet moves and other dance styles from various decades. Even the musicians, on occasion, can be seen performing dance-like steps. We now have amplified pits and singing and narrating. Some corps have elaborate props and some guards no longer spin just rifles and sabres any longer. Most shows now have a story to tell or at least a theme.

So, my question is, do you prefer the traditional plumed shakos (I admit Bluecoats look great), or do you think the kind of alternative hat ala Crossmen, Scouts, Cavaliers, Troopers goes better with today's drum corps shows. :)

Well I was not lucky enough to win the 300 + million dollar lottery so I guess my dream of starting my own drum corps is on hold. My corps would sport Aussies.......

Triple Forte

You were having that dream too?

You call that a shako?! THIS is a shako!

May the biggest shako win.

P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it poor form to steal another site's bandwidth in such quantities like that without at least directing people to the source of your image first? Then again, you may be BD's webmaster, in which case no foul.

AAHHH!! :worthy: :sshh: that just scary

AAHHH!! :worthy: :sshh: that just scary

No, what is scary are those haircuts! Yikes!

I like Sharkos... but I have my reasons :)

Does anyone make a distinction between the slightly elongated shakos that the Cadets wear and the standard type. Or all they both considered "shakos?"

What's different about what the Cadets wear? I never noticed.

Hoping to answer a question:

The Cadets' shakos this past summer were definitely...ummm...different than most shakos. Discounting '05, I don't really see the difference either. From a distance, the Cadet's shakos do look a little bit different than everyone else's; I think because of the maroon stripe. On closer inspection, the Cadets' shakos (sor, have to use the much prettier pre-'03 uniform here) have very similar dimensions to, using just one example, the Blue Devils' shakos. At one time, I think the Cadets had shorter, boxier looking shakos, but I think that went away by the early 90's.

As for me, I can't get enough of BACs' patent leather shakos. That hard, glossy surface throughout the entire shako, rather than just along the brim, is a great look; very sharp.

I like Sharkos... but I have my reasons :)

Is it because you wore an IKEA lampshade on your head this year? :P

Edited by Slow Adam

Baseball Caps!!!!!