Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

I find it interesting that there are so many people on this thread (pros, even) that can't hear the difference between the sound of a G hornline and a non-G line.

To me, it is obvious.

I think G is fantastic -- and I think Bb can be *as* good... but it is different.

But my big point is that playing Bb does not make you weak or a lame bando or not a drum corps member. That mentality is nonsense.

The key of the horn (good or bad either way -- again I like both keys for different reasons) is not a big enough factor to decide the ENTIRE drum corps experience.

As I said before in this whole thing, the 3V Kanstul G sound pales in comparison to the 2V King G sound... that's as big or bigger of a difference from the current G to Bb.

But, we move on -- and it is a fine line of sacrifice where playability vs "that" sound etc... I thought last year you guys did fantastic with the Gs. Not only was it thick and loud, it was clean.

What IS unique about drum corps?

What we do, not neccesarily on what we do it on. It took me a *long* way to come around to that conclusion.

I think drum corps is unique because it is all brass and percussion. Adding more than that does make it bando, I'll give you that.

But brass is brass (minus trombones and sousaphones thank you very much) and there are MANY wonderful colors and possibilites within that, and G is one of them, but for practicality purposes does not have to be the only one... and now competitively one does not and should not fair better than another.

And that is a choice for a corps to make -- and you guys picked G and I think that rocks and the crowd did too. Reading picked Bb and they did an equally great job with it.

It's like the difference between blondes, brunettes and red-heads. All of them wonderful, but yes different, which is good. It adds to the character of each one -- and none is better than the other.

Or, it's like this -- Guinness or Boddingtons... both awesome. But both are great beer and beer is like brass and I like them all.

Here we go -- say a certain bar only has Boddingtons, so I cant have a Guiness. So what, will I not drink that night? #### NO!! Does it not being Guiness make it not great beer? No.

Saying Bb's are for bands only is nonsense. G's dont make anyone more of a hero or more unique... just a *slightly* different color. And, it's cool. Totally cool.

Just because the corps I am currently employed by chose to play on Bb/F's does it make me a bando or any less of a drum corps person???? NO WAY. I'll go to the grave fightin that one!!

Again, the answer is soul -- and I think what people are arguing about is not the fault of the horns, it is the fault of designers and the paradigm shift of DCI over the last 10-15 years.

Multi key does not take away anything -- and it wont from DCA -- those of us who are too attached to the drum corps thing wont let that happen. We are all doing the same thing...

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps is evil....

And, with that, Key Poulan has OFFICIALLY joined the dark side... ^0^

And try getting that Chicago Symphony trumpet section to do an eight-to-five step. Yikes. b**bs

Fran

We know the principal trumpet can. :D

Yes Gold bought the Crusaders G brass last year. And with my friend Chris Bernatos arranging it, I am sure it will be very cool.

Donny

Heh, so Carolina Gold, in some ways, is Crusaders South. :P

Just kidding!

Or, it's like this -- Guinness or Boddingtons... both awesome. But both are great beer and beer is like brass and I like them all.

Here we go -- say a certain bar only has Boddingtons, so I cant have a Guiness. So what, will I not drink that night? #### NO!! Does it not being Guiness make it not great beer? No.

I think this is an ultimately appropriate analogy for DCA.

:drool:

Actually I like Boddington's, but can't stand Guiness. Of course that was on a cruise ship where all beer is warm beer.

I love the beer analogy. As a huge lover of Yuengling, may I present...

"The Beer Lover's Guide to Drum Corps"

Brass in the original G:

lager.jpg

Brass in the new Bb:

prem.jpg

Brass in the original G, Renegade style:

black_tan.jpg

Brass in the original G, mini-corps style:

light_lager.jpg

Brass in the new Bb, Buccaneer style:

ale.jpg

Brass in the new Bb, Caballero style:

corona_bottle_d.jpg

Edited by Kamarag

:drool:

Youve got "that" spiderman in your avatar. :P :P :P :P :P :P

PM me and I will let you know the secret behind that. :)