Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

Not this thread again...

NOTHING could be further than the truth. I'm not a band director, nor do I have a marching band.

I've taught lines in G, and I've taught lines in Bb. Both have their good points, and their bad -- and NEITHER ONE deserves a HANDICAPPED score.

If you want compulsories, holy crap -- how about making ALL horn players actually march!!

Here's the thing -- and to end this combative thing -- I promise to YOU G fans, that I will do everything in my power to not dissapoint you... as I love a fat hornline as much or more than the next person.

Bb has nothing to do with BAND, so I am over that. I dislike the BOA-ization of drum corps MORE THAN ANYONE... and have been outspoken about it since the early 90s.

See Cozy, the thing is that it is not Bb versus G... it is ANY KEY. That's the rule... any key. The key of the horn has NO basis on score (if the judge is doing his or her job)

joe

This thread could continue forever and no one will ever agree. IMO it doesn't matter what key of horn I'm playing with.... put me in a corps that plays kazoos and I'll make it work.

G has power, Bb has power.... who cares what band has done to influence anything... this is drum corps.. you want band, go back to high school or college.

Maybe if you're looking at starting a group, the best way might be to go Bb.... if everyone has a Bb trumpet, you're not looking at a ton of equipment costs... at least in horns. When you get to having a bigger corps with higher expectations, then you look to go to a uniform line of either G or Bb.

In short, given a great group of musicians and the right show, it shouldn't matter what they play on, they'll blow the stands down regardless.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who started this one up again???

Donny

My faux pas for resurrecting these phenomenal but old postings. Using "search" for a specific corps, I found this remarkable gem, then responded quickly before noting it's "Internet ancient." I had planned to correct the too-limited list of available conical trumpets, but, nay. Thanks to Donny, Joe, Jeffs, John, wool-skirted guard lady, cymbal players et al. for the best postings I've seen in some time...

...Time to put this one to rest. Again, sorry.

Cozy

Cozy my friend...

Not a problem. It just went around for a while last year.

Donny

Please check out the podcast of Bush's February Camp and tell me that Bb doesn't matter.

Joe Exley, Scott Brown, Dave Minero and Chris Kilian are doing amazing things!

Wow.

I'd much rather go to Reading!! :grrr: