Your thoughts on DCA corps going to B flat horns?

No doubt where I stand on this issue and I don't want to see this thread become a B flat vs G thread,,,,,There are plenty of those floating about if you wish to comment on that.

So please keep on topic of B flat instrumentation.

Which corps have switched to B flat instrumentation and why?

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reading Buccaneers are Bb.

Great...

Can you expand on that as to what lead into the decision making process as to why they did it?

I am truly looking for answers.

Edited by camel lips

The Renegades have decided to stay on G horns.

The reason?

To keep the sound of the G hornline alive.

Our brass guru, Jim McFarland, is willing to put in the time to make our G hornline play as in tune with good quality as any line - regardless of key. And of course, we will be as loud as ever.

But the sound of the G horns is so wonderful - it would be a shame to lose that unique and intense sound.

I'll let Dan McGrogan and the Bucs staff discuss the reasons they made the administrative decision to switch, but I can tell you this much...

I was a staunch supporter of staying in G. Once the chance was made, I decided to give it an honest chance...and I'll never go back. Playing in Bb is easier, far more in tune, and the quality of the horns is FAR better.

In 2004, I played on a Dynasty G euphonium, which I loved. The horn had some intonation issues, especially in cooler weather, but I liked it a lot. When we went to Bb, I played the new Bb euph from Dynasty, and it's so far superior to the G it's not even funny.

The intonation is better, tuning is easier, and the timbre of the horn is better. While we did have more talent in the hornline in 2005, I would stull say the overall sound the corps produced was night and day better, and at least some of the credit goes to playing on quality Bb horns.

A lot of folks argue that G lines are more powerful, and produce a fuller sound, but I think listening to the 2005 Buccaneers, it's obvious that it simply isn't true. While I might teach a G line in the future, I'll probably never play in one again, at least not competitively.

I would advise any corps considering switching to go ahead and do so.

Edited by Kamarag

I've seen some Bb horn, that someone said were Euphoniums. As I was thinking to myself that they were some odd looking mellophones.

I don't think any Euphs have matched the granduer of those old G 2 valve Kings. The Kanstul 3 valve is nice too, but people not in the hornline, and some that are, draw no distinction between the Euphonium and Baritone. When back in the day, no-one dared making that mistake. If you saw a G 2 valve King Euph coming your way, you got out of the way. Unless you played a G 2 valve King K-90 Contra.

Got a chance to see the best of both in W-S last year...

Both Renegades and Bucs were equally impressive...in different ways. The way Renegades "G" line cut right through you was something else...but the fat sound that the Bucs put out in Adagio was also just as breathtaking.

And while I agree with John above with the tuning issues (not to mention the financial return in selling the horns later)...I also have to agree with Chris that a G line is still a thing of beauty.

Can we have both? :P

Can we have both? :P

I would say we do.

Thanks Kamarag for your post.That is exactly the direction I would like to see this thread stay in.

Leave the G vs B flat debate out of this guys.Like I said there are pleanty of other threads out there for that.