Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, take a newbie to a band show amd they are not going to telll you to remove the WW and Electronics (if used) either.

That, IMO, is a totally specious argument.

Mike

the thing is, kids always say they like it because of the differences.

Yes, I have only been keeping watch under DCI... Never seen a DCA show, never really appealed to me... Personal preference... I'm also referring to the top of the activity (DCI Top 12)...

Then I must ask how you can complain about the lack of creativity/innovation in drum corps as a whole (as your inital post seems to indicate) when you're only really considering about 20% of the activity.

This is the theme of the entire thread.

Yep

the thing is, kids always say they like it because of the differences.

When I was a Kid, I liked it because of the differences.

I play Saxophone. I love the woodwind sound. I also love electronics and really like all the different colors and blends they have to offer. I just do not believe that DCI needs to be the organization to harbor a field activity involving these instruments. I love that the mix is the heart and passion of Percussion Instruments, Brass Instruments and Interperative Guard Work. I was ok with the pit being amped just because I understood that acoustically, the pit cannot always be heard during all parts of the show. Now that we have added mic'd singing/beat boxing/narration (especially the last one) I am getting disgusted because the effect is taking away from times that the horns could be ripping my face off, drums beating me into the ground or another type of effective moment.

Could another type of Blast evolve to harness this idea. Shockwave added Sax's and some Jazz music into the indoor circuit. Maybe someone could start Heatwave. b**bs

Then I must ask how you can complain about the lack of creativity/innovation in drum corps as a whole (as your inital post seems to indicate) when you're only really considering about 20% of the activity.

True, and nice avatar B)

And still no answer to my question? Can't say I'm not surprised.

I wonder what they did, as well. I would have to fall in the "skeptical" camp about how this music could be adapted to the field. It's inherently a verbal and not an instrumental music--and I am not a pro-amper, pro-microphoner by any stretch.

BTW, I hope I was not too harsh jumping on your rap comments. There is admittedly so much trash in that genre right now that the good stuff often gets brushed to the side. But when it's creative and good, it's as powerful as any music.

oh you werent harsh it was fine. ive just never really heard any of the rap music you speak of. all i hear is the crap that comes from my sisters radio. lol. id really like to hear some of it. is there some artist you would recommend?

That's why I prefer a separate division, for those that want to go that route.

Mike

OK, so there is something we agree on (someone call a doctor :beer: ). Honestly though, if Cadets and Blue Devils jumped to the new anything goes division, don't think they would all go withing a year or two? I think so. Then the unique niche (which I understand you believe is not much) is lost. There already competitive marching bands. You have always advocated choices. Why not leave the choice for people to go to marching band as well as drum corps for those who want to have that all brass experience.

If ww's are allowed, I envision that all the major corps would go that way and then there would not be an option for the all brass choice.