Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Electronics, Anything...

Pro-Woodwinds, Amps, Anything...  

715 members have voted

1. 1. Are you pro-woodwinds/amps/electronics/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither (Meaning you have mixed views or like only certain aspects of both sides)

WHAT IS SO WRONG WITH THIS?!?!?!

Everybody always says this and I just don't get it. SO WHAT!! If you've seen some of the top BOA groups out there, you know flutes can do just as many effective things as any other section. Can we PLEASE drop the stereotypes?!

It's actually not that big of a deal Aaron, but more silly than anything, and maybe...even a bit generational. This is the "SO WHAT" for me! For me flutes doing horn moves is pretty silly....only a horn can do horn moves that is why they are called "horn moves"....I might agree with you that this is a stereotype....one that I will never drop.....When I used to see bands mimic corps back in my day, it was silly seeing the saxes and flutes trying to mimic horn moves....I would much prefer to have them in some sort of a pit or not at all....again, just my opinion.

Edited by felixh

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A flute is a horn just as much as a trumpet is. And I've seen some pretty impressive things. Heck, I've written some pretty sweet visuals that the flutes and clarinets can do better than any other section. personal preference I guess. I just hate how American Pie made flutes out to be so.....ya know. Now you have to battle that stereotype even more than before. Some of the smartest people I know played flute. I think flutes are cool. GO FLUTES! AHHHH!!!!

END OF RANT.

Wow! 70 pages of WW and drum corps. This is amazing.

Technically speaking, and for the International Horn Society opinion--trumpets, flutes, and baritones are not horns. The only "horn" is the horn, the official name of the "french horn".

Wow! 70 pages of WW and drum corps. This is amazing.

Technically speaking, and for the International Horn Society opinion--trumpets, flutes, and baritones are not horns. The only "horn" is the horn, the official name of the "french horn".

And let's not forget electronics, because I want synthesizers too!! Even moreso than woodwinds...

Sure it is...if you don't already have those things.

Mike

no that is NOT innovation. that's called just being the same thing. innovation is being creative in your own arena, not merging with someone else

A flute is a horn just as much as a trumpet is. And I've seen some pretty impressive things. Heck, I've written some pretty sweet visuals that the flutes and clarinets can do better than any other section. personal preference I guess. I just hate how American Pie made flutes out to be so.....ya know. Now you have to battle that stereotype even more than before. Some of the smartest people I know played flute. I think flutes are cool. GO FLUTES! AHHHH!!!!

END OF RANT.

actually moves look a lot better with bell front brass. because of the flutes shape and how it's held, it does look awkward

END OF RANT.

Oh Flutes are way cool Aaron,.....just not in drum corps IMO....I have heard great flute sounds, sax sounds, clarinet sounds,....these are more band and orchestra instruments to me.....I'm an old guy.....my stereotypes are pretty firm :P

END OF RANT.

were not attacing flutes. i love flutes. they can sound great in their own enviornment. but just because you know smart people that play flute doesnt mean a flute doing a horn move looks awkward.

END OF RANT PART DOS!!

:D

were not attacing flutes. i love flutes. they can sound great in their own enviornment. but just because you know smart people that play flute doesnt mean a flute doing a horn move looks awkward.

END OF RANT PART DOS!!

:D

BAH. Who said they had to do the same moves? Flutes, etc. can do cool things.... Also, you can't dismiss things unless you try it, and this hasn't been done the way we're suggesting.