DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

Apparently most of you haven't actually read the BOA guide on judging GE. here is your Music GE ajudication sheet, and here is the Visual GE ajudication sheet. It has nothing to do with amplification/vocals or anything. Again, like I stated above, I come from a very successful BOA band that doesn't use narration, and only minor amplification. We still score VERY well in General Effect, due to our incredible arranger putting together arrangements that are so different.

I'm not going to argue that a lot of bands are concealing their flaws through narration and such, this is something I noticed a lot when I got a chance to sit in the stands and watch bands. Does it bug me, yes? Do I let it affect the entertainment value of these bands? no. I don't stay so focused on this narration thing. Like I said, in the end, I want to sit and watch the best in the activity when watching marching band, and the best compete in BOA. I'm not downing the quality of USSBA, I think it's done incredible things for the bands up in the Northeast, giving them a great circuit to compete in, get quality judging and such, but when it comes down to it, the best bands in the country compete in BOA.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently most of you haven't actually read the BOA guide on judging GE. here is your Music GE ajudication sheet, and here is the Visual GE ajudication sheet. It has nothing to do with amplification/vocals or anything. Again, like I stated above, I come from a very successful BOA band that doesn't use narration, and only minor amplification. We still score VERY well in General Effect, due to our incredible arranger putting together arrangements that are so different.

I'm not going to argue that a lot of bands are concealing their flaws through narration and such, this is something I noticed a lot when I got a chance to sit in the stands and watch bands. Does it bug me, yes? Do I let it affect the entertainment value of these bands? no. I don't stay so focused on this narration thing. Like I said, in the end, I want to sit and watch the best in the activity when watching marching band, and the best compete in BOA.

I don't see it as 'concealing their flaws'...I see it as 'maximizing their potential'.

I'm not downing the quality of USSBA, I think it's done incredible things for the bands up in the Northeast, giving them a great circuit to compete in, get quality judging and such, but when it comes down to it, the best bands in the country compete in BOA.

USSBA, TOB, etc...are true local/regional circuits...with dozens of shows, even over a 100...BOA is not...BOA is a series of Regionals and a Grand National. Their goals are not the same, IMO. You are right in that many of the very best attend BOA shows, and they offer a great experience for those that attend.

You are also right about USSBA and what it provides for it's membership, and be extension, TOB.

I think dartmouth would murder some of these BOA bands in percussion. Why? Tom Aungst's there and he's the guy who led the 3 peat in percussion for cadets as well as the one for this year in high percussion. Not to mention dartmouth frequently places in the top 3 for WGI world scholastic percussion.

There is no percussion sheet in BOA. It is a 50 point subcaption on the musical individual sheet (total 200 points). And that sheet gets averaged with the music ensemble sheet for a total of 20 pts added to the raw score. So having a dominant drumline, while it will help, is not critical in BOA. Playing musically and proficiently if of greater importance. If I am not mistaken Tarpon Springs does not even put out a marching battery and yet do very well whenever they attend nationals.

There is no percussion sheet in BOA. It is a 50 point subcaption on the musical individual sheet (total 200 points). And that sheet gets averaged with the music ensemble sheet for a total of 20 pts added to the raw score. So having a dominant drumline, while it will help, is not critical in BOA.

Now that's a sad commentary, IMHO, and I'm a brass player! What's the big idea, anyway?

Does BOA still not release their finals scores?

It's a sad commentary that percussion is judged upon how musically and proficiently they play? Not releasing the final scores was a one time deal that BOA tried and they did catch quite a bit of flack for that.

Edited by MagicAlto99

Now that's a sad commentary, IMHO, and I'm a brass player! What's the big idea, anyway?

Does BOA still not release their finals scores?

Why is it a sad commentary? They evaluate music...all music...and do not overweight one aspect over the rest...and I am a percussionist!

Both USSBA and TOB often have percussion judges, but their scores are independent of the final total...they are 'special award' scores only. I know more about USSBA; in that circuit the music performance and effect judges also include percussion in their scores and commentary.

Mike

Before MCBA (Michigan's band circuit) went to BOA sheets there was a caption strictly for percussion. The caption, over time, had evolved into basically just a "percussion" caption with very limited attention to how the percussion fit with the rest of the ensemble. So some groups would come out with just and incredible battery and get dinged a bit in the ensemble and ge sheets but would completely "stomp" everyone in the percussion sheets and more than make up for the spread in the ensemble and ge captions.

I do not blame these groups at all for doing that. They understood the sheets well and used them to their advantage. There was one band back in the mid 90s that did a Les Mis. show where it seemed like the battery was throwing down everything they could, plus the kitchen sink, for the entire show. Sure they scored incredible in percussion but to the rest of the show it added nothing (completely detracted if you ask me).

The move to the BOA sheets forced many bands to adjust to more balanced and creative approach their show design. The sheets forces bands to play as complete ensembles. Whether or not the sheets favor bands that have more creative staffs and desingers over bands that just go out and play and march well is another debate all together. But I cannot argue about what I hear on the field now versus under the old system.

Okay, take that argument outside the thread.. b**bs :P Now back on topic, If I had to choose one, it'd be DCA, cause I fell in love with it this past summer and I want more....so that would be so cool... :huh:

Hey mabye DCA should check out this thread and see alot of folks are into it and maybe do some kind of contest for tickets...(Hint, Hint) as a promotion! :)

Edited by Lancerlady

Lessee...All expenses paid...

DCA - where's the sign up sheet

DCI - before Amps yes, now, not so sure.

USSBA - Yawn

TOB - Yes

BOA - Yawn

BOA: I want to see MARCHING BAND, not this production that reminds me of a broadway show.

USSBA: They're in Jersey usually, or Allentown, which is in easy driving distance, so the expenses aren't so much the issue, just I don't like all the amps and pagentry and stuff. I want in your face marching and playing.

TOB: Closest this comes to what I want.

USSBA: They're in Jersey usually, or Allentown, which is in easy driving distance, so the expenses aren't so much the issue, just I don't like all the amps and pagentry and stuff. I want in your face marching and playing.

TOB: Closest this comes to what I want.

Well Yoda.... :P

From what I have seen, USSBA is also what you want. As in any circuit, there are all types of bands. I have seen TOB member bands at USSBA shows that are pretty much indistinguishable from the 'regulars' of USSBA.

Mike