DCI, BOA, DCA, or USSBA

i didn't go to BOA this year because i had performance myself but ive been to ones before. i prefer USSBA and TOB because it's less tacky and cheesy with narrations and flagrant props. BOA's just a little to "flowery" for me. sure it's cleaner but USSBA and TOB are very drum corps like, hardly any of them using amplification, narration or over excessive prop use.

BOA is very much more clean in general compared to other circuits, but those shows are so aimed towards that GE score that it could be dirty but with good GE still pull off a good score.

I think dartmouth would murder some of these BOA bands in percussion. Why? Tom Aungst's there and he's the guy who led the 3 peat in percussion for cadets as well as the one for this year in high percussion. Not to mention dartmouth frequently places in the top 3 for WGI world scholastic percussion.

and to whoever said anything about BOA bands taking out Division II corps, i just watched dvds of BOA and Div II, yeah some division II corps, but BOA won't smudge most corps.

IMO, Dartmouth gets way more than they should every year at WGI. IMO, compared to some of the other top high school lines, they're usually a dirty mess. Could their band even make finals at BOA? Some of the other top USSBA bands were down in 85th. Centerville and Center Grove are both BOA bands who have done pretty well at WGI and I don't see Dartmouth murdering either one of them at BOA.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm....

There seems to be a great number of threads popping up lately on the JUNIOR DRUM CORPS boards that seem to prompt readers to question the superiority of DCI corps to other marching activities.

What's that all about?

Agreed, Chris!

If they nothing nice to say, go to a different forum ;-)~

Honestly, I'd take free tickets to any of them. I just love to go to shows period. I think I'd enjoy the DCI tickets the most, though.. so if I could choose, I'd definitely take the DCI tickets.

I must say that I am very entertained by how quickly some of you DCA folks jumped on the guy who said "anything BUT DCA.." Kinda makes me wonder.. is there a reason for that? It sounded kind of defensive the way some of you guys came back on him -- can you not let him have his opinion about it and that's it? Does he need to explain his personal preference to you guys for it to be okay?

I also find it interesting that the same defensive questioning has NOT been presented to those DCA-type guys who made what could be construed as derogatory comments about DCI for whatever their reasons are.

Double standard? Just a little something to think about folks.

Stef

Well, I'm one of the ones that apparently "jumped" on him just because of how he phrased it and especially after he he said he'd only seen two DCA corps and that's what he based his opinion on. I didn't realize that it came off as defensive. Just trying to find out what he had against DCA.

Edited by skajerk

I'd attend all the events. Any marching activity is worth going to, ecspecially if it's on the 50 and free.

~>conner

There is no percussion sheet in BOA. It is a 50 point subcaption on the musical individual sheet (total 200 points). And that sheet gets averaged with the music ensemble sheet for a total of 20 pts added to the raw score. So having a dominant drumline, while it will help, is not critical in BOA. Playing musically and proficiently if of greater importance. If I am not mistaken Tarpon Springs does not even put out a marching battery and yet do very well whenever they attend nationals.

ahhh this is where i get you, i didn't say anything about scoring. :)

read closely with the naked eye my friend.

i believe BOA is 60% GE while USSBA is 33.33% general effect (with guard and percussion captions). they're just two completely different animals. i like both, i just like USSBA type shows in the fact that they're more DCI-ish, less of that prop and fancy-shmancy prop use etc... note that USSBA has far more bands that compete in it than BOA. i really hope BOA gets out of indianapolis, im starting to get sick of that place.

(i dont compete in either arenas just to tell you)

Edited by TommySopranoContra

DCI - YES

BOA - YES

DCA - I've never been, but corps are corps! who cares what circuit they compete in!--YES

USSBA - YES

TOB - YES

WBA - YES

ISSMA - YES

NWMBC - YES

NCBA - #### no!--you would actually have to pay me to go to one of these shows... Unless my band was enrolled in the show.

SCSBOA - Maybe

CCBR - Maybe

I love watching music in motion; through winter percussion/guard, all the way through high school band. I make sure when I go to a different "world"--I am viewing it in the eyes of what the intent is. I don't go to BOA shows expecting to see drum corps or winter guard, and I try my hardest not to even compare. Yeah, several high school groups do things corps do, and vise verse. Watch it for what it is worth. View each circuit for what it is. As a future music educator myself, I find it cool to see these things all the time. I will admit, I have issues with certain things in ALL circuits, but that doesnt stop me from having a good time when I go to these various events.

SCBDA 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a State championships- YES.

=)

~>conner

Why is it a sad commentary? They evaluate music...all music...and do not overweight one aspect over the rest...and I am a percussionist!

Both USSBA and TOB often have percussion judges, but their scores are independent of the final total...they are 'special award' scores only. I know more about USSBA; in that circuit the music performance and effect judges also include percussion in their scores and commentary.

Mike

in TOB percussion is a specialty caption, however it is rewarded/critiqued in the music captions like never before thru excellent education

IMO, Dartmouth gets way more than they should every year at WGI. IMO, compared to some of the other top high school lines, they're usually a dirty mess. Could their band even make finals at BOA? Some of the other top USSBA bands were down in 85th. Centerville and Center Grove are both BOA bands who have done pretty well at WGI and I don't see Dartmouth murdering either one of them at BOA.

I'd double check that...