Eddie

Welp, back to r.a.m.d. or Soundmachine.

now, now, let's not give EVERYONE ideas

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any money donated to the site while I've been owner has been immediately applied to help offset the next month's hosting fees... All donors need to feel secure in the knowledge that their donation has helped offset the costs incurred in bringing this site to users over the past years. I have closed off the donation page during this sale... the new owner(s) can decide whether or not to accept member donations / but I would recommend against it.

why would you say that? if someone has donated even $20, that helps you pay for the place?

how can you get back money that is already spent? unless you want the selling price of DCp to go up even higher so George can do those "refunds".

sorry ~ but that is an unrealistic expectation IMO. your donations didn't go to George's purchase of the domain name or what it is he's selling. it went to upkeep of the sight.

just my opinion.

hey just asked. nothing ventured nothing gained.

if the place is gonne die, at least I know i made something on the deal. it's called business.

A few thoughts to add to the discussion.

To the Good:

1. George should be commended for founding, fostering and supporting a place where a community of caring drum corps people can come to share thoughts, ideas and opinions.

2. George should also be commended for putting in the time that he has to make this place viable.

3. Any reasonable person would assume that George has sunk more of his own money into this venture than we would be aware of.

So there you have almost all of what it takes to get a venture off of the ground:

Vision

Time

Money

Passion

Committment

Can anyone argue that George does not possess these qualities?

To the Bad:

1. Nowhere on this site from the registration materials to the rules, etc... is it stated that this site is privately owned and can be disposed of at the whim of said owner. Simple oversight? Most likely but it now leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

2. It is unreasonable to expect that a community of individuals so diverse in means, geography and capability can put together a plan to "purchase" and maintain this site in 7 business days.

3. 2 months ago George started a discussion about revamping the goals of DCP. I asked him a very specific question regarding whether or not the governing bodies of DCI and it's member corps viewed this site as relevant. George admitted that essentially they do not. Without relevance and direct linkage the the activity, this site is limited in what it can do beyond providing a place to talk.

4. George has postulated that a person of "means" might purchase DCP and keep it up and running. Sounds to me like one can expect to be losing money. Why also would a person of means want to invest in something that is peripheral in nature at best?

Along with all of those wonderful qualities that I cited above there is another that is essential in starting any venture(necessary but problematic):

Ego(see Bill Cook)

Can anyone here argue that this site has not served the needs of George's ego over the last 4 years?

So what has really happened here?

According to the very sparse information that George has shared about the cashflow, it would appear that losing money is no longer an issue.

The other issue that George has cited is the time committment. That is a valid issue for anyone to consider when running a business.

So what has changed in George's life that makes it impossible for him to continue to commit time to this venture?

Maybe this site no longer feeds his ego?

Maybe the thrill of the start-up is gone?

Maybe George is out of ideas and truly does not know where to go with this venture?

Maybe George is not the guy you need to maintain and grow a business?

Maybe, maybe, maybe..........

It is not that George has put this site up for sale that angers us it is the method that he chosen.

1. There was no discussion. (Which as the "owner" of the site George felt was unnecessary.)

2. There does not appear to have been any planning.

3. There a very real concerns about:

Privacy

The intent of a potential buyer

The future of the community

To each of these concerns, George's response has essentially been "trust me". No fears have been allayed. Why should we trust George now?

Are you so out of touch with the very community that you founded George, that you didn't realize that people would react the way that they have?

Or do you just not care anymore?

In either case, trust your gut, it is time for you to leave.

Most egregious is that George has ignored that fact that a community exists here. His actions amount to indifference at best, betrayal at worst.

George,

You owe this community better. Close down the auction and give the community a chance to come up with a solution.

You are a businessman so put some boundaries out there.

1. A timeline needs to be put in place(3 months?). If a solution can't be generated in a reasonable amount of time. Put the auction back up again.

2. People should be given the option before the site changes hands(no matter who the buyer is) to have their personal information deleted.

3. Donations made in the last 6 months should be refunded. I refuse to believe that this decision is a sudden one.

The auction holds a gun to everyone's head.

one small point of order. since pretty much every junior corps has their own forums....most of which came AFTER DCP was founded....it speaks to the public that the corps dont view DCP as worthwhile because the corps can't control what is said, as opposed to their forums ( re: see criticism of BD's show on their site).

DCp changed the internet for drum corps in many, many ways, and DCP did it well.

George and I don't always see eye to eye, but this place changed the game for everyone, and now, except for Soundmachine and RAMD, even down to design and content, I see a lot of DCP wannabe's out there.

we did that first option already. isn't that where most of us came from? :lol:

almost EVERYONE

:P

And other than personal morals, what's to stop someone from ignoring this statement?

hopefully, legally binding documentation.

technically, i gave money to mike new. or so my visa bill states.

collectively saved the troopers? really? do you have the records of how much has been donated to dcp, and how much the troopers need to recover? and i thought it was *more* about their tax paperwork than cash flow. please, let's not make unnecessary, unfounded, and inaccurate comparisons.

I think his point is that DCP is a for-profit private company...the Troopers are a non-profit activity.

It's akin to sending money to M&M Mars, a privately held company, to help them pay the electric bill on the wrapping machine in the Waco plant.

mIKE

I'm curious what so many are afraid of? Someone is going to pay north of $5,200 for this site(s). The likely buyer participates on these forums, loves drum corps, and would like to maintain or build upon what is already in place.

I suppose changes will be made, but people are acting as if the proverbial plug may soon be pulled. I suppose the site may become more commercialized, more profit driven. That could be negative. On the other hand it could help ensure the continued existence of these forums.

Seems to me that people ought to take a breath and watch the evolution. It may very well be a non-event for most users.

Read back a few pages that the only personal info in the database is email address and what we put in our profile. (Info supplied by George)

Question: If a member removes their personal info (DOB, hometown, whatever) from the profile is it gone from the database or saved somewher (backup files,etc.)?

If there are DB backups, the info would be there. The question would be which backups...how far back ...are included in the sale.

Mike

Well, since i got skewered incorrectly in someone;s blog ( i know she's reading this too), i'll stray from smart ### remarks for a few moments.

DCp is, was, and if bought, always will be a wonderful place. It has allowed me to make new friends from across the country, and has helped me get writing gigs for DCW. While I have not, and probably never will agree with the direction of the site at times, it has pretty much fulfilled it's purpose for me. I have enjoyed the site, and the perks attached.

I have debated a lot about putting up the cash to buy the site. At this time, I have decided walking into being a home owner w/$30k or more in the bank for a downpayment is the best way for me to go ( sorry TD, I know that ruins your visions of my finances. And i own a townhouse, not a trailer. don't you hate being wrong?). I have, and will continue to donate if asked, and who knows, maybe some day if up for sale, i will buy it. If that indded happens, God help you all :P

george, thank you for all of your hard work, time, and personal finances you have put into the place. You deserve the break if anyone does.

to those who helped build the place, as well as run it over time, especially Mike New, thank you also for all of your hard work. All of you, including George had a thankless job. I understand needing a break.

To whoever owns the place next, you have my support, and if you need donations, just ask. I'm always happy to help.

and remember all......DCP HAS been a good thing for drum corps. george's vision changed how drum corps on the internet is done. We have often scooped corps themselves on news, and leaders in DCI and DCA have seen the positives of DCP and how it can help them.

it is our job, those who are not buying the place, to stay on board, give the new ownership your support, and in time, really, this will all blow over like our semi annual war about guidelines and enforcement does.

all smart ### remarks aside, thank you George. Maybe your delivery wasn't the best, but your intentions were, and that's what counts at the end of the day

Edited by jeffsnewjetta