DCP for sale?

Eddie

If DCP is a not for profit organization, how can it be "sold"

DCP is not a NPO -- we had at one time endeavored to be but we never filed or incorporated as one.

Stef

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found this thread, I do come to the forums through the first page of the web site and missed the story about the sale. That was my fault, no one else's.

First off, I would like to thank George for giving us drum corps fanatics, a place to post and meet new friends. I appreciate his efforts to the web site. While I'm not exactly thrilled over the idea of the site being sold, I can understand his reasons why. I will also hold judgement of the new owners until I see what they will do. We have to remember that the only thing constant in this world, is change, sometimes not for the better, but it happens. Am I worried about the eBay sale? Not really. As a frequent user of eBay to support my other hobby, I know that if the winning bidder is someone who does not meet George's criteria, the sale can be called off without George losing face as a businessman. I seen it happen. I've been a part of it also where I was not the winning bidder, but was contacted by the seller to see if I was still interested in the product I bid on.

We have to remember, this is a place where we can catch up on this that are going on in the drum corps world but is just like anything else, subject to change.

Also, Tank, if DCP is sold, and a contract is laid out as to what can and can't be done, it is a legal and binding document and therefore if broken would be considered breached and I'm sure there would be something written in as to what would happen if the contract is broken.

Long live DCP!

Edited by buzzgok

I didn't read every single post in this thread so sorry if this was already brought up. But, this is from the ebay description:

"Current google and ad based revenue for the site averages $800-1000 monthly. Current hosting costs average approximately $450 monthly. Real advertising potential is untapped and therefore unknown... "

So, can someone explain to me how you've lost money? And while we're at it, why you need donations?

Im fairly certain that is because DCP required start up capital and years to become profitable. As for donations, George mentioned that a total of $10 have been donated since he took the site back.

Edited by dans24103

Im fairly certain that is because DCP required start up capital and years to become profitable. As for donations, George mentioned that a total of $10 have been donated since he took the site back.

I don't buy the startup costs. Domain names are less that $10/year. When the site started, there is no way his hosting was the $450/month he claims it is now. As his bandwidth costs rose, so should his ad revenue and donations.

(please note, i'm not against him selling, and i really don't think the privacy concerns are something to worry about. i just don't buy the math here. if it's such a money loser, why would anyone want to buy it?)

I don't buy the startup costs. Domain names are less that $10/year. When the site started, there is no way his hosting was the $450/month he claims it is now. As his bandwidth costs rose, so should his ad revenue and donations.

(please note, i'm not against him selling, and i really don't think the privacy concerns are something to worry about. i just don't buy the math here. if it's such a money loser, why would anyone want to buy it?)

I was wondering about the start up costs myself. My husband and I bought the domain name for the corps and George B. and put it in their name as a small business since 27th Lancers is incorporated. It doesn't cost that much and we have a lot of space. Hmm...interesting...I was wondering, but I didn't want to say too much about that since I've already been tarred and feathered for questioning things around here. And all those "ad" costs, if someone did it right, advertising is a tax write off for a business....

I would think the most expensive thing would be the technical people to make it work, that costs money. And the bandwidth space needed, that's what I was always told was needed for donations. And just before George took over, Mike New did a money drive and money was donated. That may be why nobody had donated money since George took over again, Mike had already taken care of it.

Have fun...

Edited by Lancerlady

Well Im not privy to the financial details of this operation but I would say that most likely like a lot of start ups, DCP was probably losing money. We know for a fact it operated in the red for the first one or two years, and not too long ago Mike New had put out a call for donations for a server move. As for right now from what George has posted here, it makes money...which is why someone might want to buy it although that is not necessarily the main reason. I assume George himself operated DCP at a loss for quite a long time because of his belief the project was worthwhile and might someday become profitable (as it has) George has also stated thats a reason for putting the site on ebay, to make sure someone like him, someone who could afford to lose a little money on the site like he has, ended up as the buyer. This is opposed to some commitee of people who could end up dragging down the site for lack of money. This also allows him to make a clean break from the site with a parting gift, which is some of the money he has invested into DCP as the sale price. If a group of DCPers got together and tried to buy it theres always the chance they might try to extract concessions or deferred payment schemes from him. This is the best way, I agree with George.

And the bandwidth space needed, that's what I was always told was needed for donations. And just before George took over, Mike New did a money drive and money was donated.

Thanks for the memory jog, needing $$$ for hardware was the reason given when I donated.

Also remember fund requests when the server speed was improved.

One of the first things I've agreed with in this thread!

Similar to my own reaction of about 15 hours ago.

A question for you as a webmaster, what if a private individual bought the site and donated it to your organization (relax folks, just an example). Would you see the potential for sustaining income that's claimed on e-bay, or just a drain on your time?

A question for you as a webmaster, what if a private individual bought the site and donated it to your organization (relax folks, just an example). Would you see the potential for sustaining income that's claimed on e-bay, or just a drain on your time?

Here's where I'm going with the question above. It seems that the scenario is a triple win situation:

The buyer recoups a good part of his/her outlay by donating the whole thing to corps "A", which is a non-profit.

If the potential listed on e-bay works, Corps "A" gains a source of sustaining income that starts at about $600/month and is "unlimited".

DCP becomes part of a true non-profit that is obviously dedicated to the activity and is kept up to date by one of those true wizards of the activity; corps webmasters. (Before you start on the conflict of interest issue, I'd contend that it's more manageable this way than the potential excesses of continued private ownership).

OK computer folks and lawyers, where are the flaws?

Edited by MiamiSun76