DCP for sale?

Eddie

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was replying to...

not sure who the "his" is you're referring to mike, or i'm not quite understanding you or the original poster? oh well, not a big deal :)

It was Wayne, who said you should donate to the Troopers, a true non-profit, as opposed to a private corporation like DCP...I think :lol:

Mike

Non-profits are private corporations.

First, I want to say that my problem is not in the fact that DCP is being sold, but that George did not either (1) Give a day's notice on the board so that those here with resources could gather them on a day when the banks were open to take up the "Buy it Now" option or (2) use the feature to create a Pre-approve Bidders/Buyers list. I am grateful for George's creation and hope the new owner is one of us.

And, for many of us DOB, Location, and B-day, which forces putting the year. You'd be amazed what can be done with that info. If I remove that info now, would it also not be on the backup you provide the new woner?

I have a small budget, so pay a small rent. I have gotten more than my donation's worth, so no, I don't want it back. BTW it would have been more than $20 if I could have figured out to make it go back to being automatic.

NOTE for next owner: If you take donations, set up the automatic PayPal for those of us who can't remember didley squat.

See that's why when I register somewhere on the net like this which is free I use an email account that does not mean anything. And DOB.. they require I put in one from 1976 .. I like to be younger. Yeah Location. Depends on where I feel like being from that day. ..

Hmmm how many of you are on any other forums similar to this and have given your information? Do you know how many times that could have changed hands.. Probably not because they did not tell you. They DON"T HAVE TO!!

So to me whom ever buys it , If I like I will stay if not I will go. Nobody has a gun to my head. I enjoy what is here and if it is gone I had fun with what was. Guess I am lucky I have other things in my life that can take up my boring time as well.(being at work since 6 am with things running smooth) No adiction to one thing.

With all that is going on in the Freaking world how can one look at DCP being sold as a life altering thing.

Look at it this way.. If this site is gone. Do something else. If you have kids go play ball with them or just sit and talk with them watch a movie play Xbox,playstation or what ever.

Snuggle up with you S.O.. Make popcorn and watch a movie or go out just for the Heck of it. Practice Making a kid or make one. (your Choice on that one) :)

I don't know why one would want to sit here and get frustrated over something so small as a website Forum that in no way can directly effect you.

I'd also like to ask people to keep discussion here and not open up threads in all of the forums. The annoucement is posted at the top of the forums page in the recent news link, on the main DCP page, and here in both parts of the Site Discussions.

Thanks...

I have the DCA forum in my favorites. I never, ever, come to that forum through the main DCP page, the news page or any other method for that matter. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but the topics that get pinned have become like banner ads. I just ignore them.

If someone had not posted a link in the DCA forum, I never would have seen this thread. (Not that I really care that much, I'm just sayin')

If DCP is a not for profit organization, how can it be "sold"

As stated earlier in this 28+ page thread, DCP is NOT a non-profit. It is privately owned and, therefore, can be sold.

Look, if the next owner runs DCP into the ground (which, given the money (s)he has shelled out isn't likely) or is just a total a-hole, there are and will be other sites to pick up the slack. Someone will start a Drum Corps Galaxy, or Universe, again starting it AS A HOBBY/LABOR OF LOVE.

I would imagine that management of DCP has become a serious part time job for a number of the Powers That Be here. And, according to George, there's little or no cash being thrown off of the business. After a while, I'm sure it gets old...Especially when everyone who has written a post or a $20 check over the years claims a vested interest.

I don't know a lot of the inner workings of DCP, but there are basically two ways to make money on a website: subscriptions and advertising. The limited ads we see presently help the site come close to break-even. However, if the successor ownership needs to make a profit on the site, expect one or the other.

Edited by Phillygwm

I didn't read every single post in this thread so sorry if this was already brought up. But, this is from the ebay description:

"Current google and ad based revenue for the site averages $800-1000 monthly. Current hosting costs average approximately $450 monthly. Real advertising potential is untapped and therefore unknown... "

So, can someone explain to me how you've lost money? And while we're at it, why you need donations?