Rock Bands As Show Themes

That would be 'TUSK' - and the USC band performed with them on their album and video

Ye that would be so COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolina Gold (I believe) played a Dave Matthews Band show a couple years ago, Cadets played a Jethro Tull show in 04, Crossmen played a variety of rock songs in 05, and Scouts supposedly fused some Santana into their show this year.

Whether or not we've passed the point where it's vogue to play rock music as a show... which band would you like to have a corps take on for a show?

I've heard Radiohead and Dream Theater tossed around here and on other forums... I personally, was disappointed by the amount of Santana Scouts played in their show, and I'd love to see a corps play an all-Santana show (I mean the band Santana, not solo Carlos Santana). If any of you guys listen to Santana at all, I was thinking this would be a cool show:

Jingo

Samba Pa Ti

Incident at Neshabur

I guess you could probably throw in one of the more popular songs like Oye Como Va or Black Magic Woman if that wasn't enough. I can just imagine the auxiliary percussion parts and the groove that show would have.

Also, I think a Phish show would be good. Then again, that's because I'm a huge Phish fan. It could definitely have its possibilities.

So what do you think? What rock band would you like to see a corps use as show material (and I mean the whole show, not just snippets)?

Oh and I like the WHO'S NEXT. I got it.

Teal Sound has done the following in that vein:

2000- Santana

2001- Metallica

2002- Dave Matthews

2004- Dream Theater

What year did the Raiders do Metallica? I'm pretty sure it was around that same time period.

How come nobody mentioned Bluecoats 1992? The Symphonic Beatles!

And Northern Aurora did Emerson Lake and Palmer in 1992, that was a great show. Then in 1993 they did Kansas. Blue Devils 1990, Tommy.

I'd love to see some Led Zeppelin done by a corps. The way shows are written nowadays, and how its so rare that a piece of music is done anywhere close to verbatim anymore, I think a corps could more easily get away with doing some rock now than in years past.

Oh and I like the WHO'S NEXT. I got it.

to be completely honest, i didn't even think of that...

but i am a huge Who fan and could see some of their stuff translating well to the field.

...oh wait. it's already been done. though it was tommy, and not who's next.

Guns & Roses

I was just thinking on the way to work today (because it was raining) November Rain would be an awesome ballad/closer (trimmed to length of course, a couple verses maybe minus the guitar solos, then into the setup for the tempo/key change) . Unfortunately you'd need the world's best soprano player to do that closing. That would be wild though.

And I've said this before, and so have others: PINK FLOYD

Didn't the Colts do Blood, Sweat and Tears?

HH

"God Bless the Child" has been done many times. What a GREAT tune.

to be completely honest, i didn't even think of that...

but i am a huge Who fan and could see some of their stuff translating well to the field.

...oh wait. it's already been done. though it was tommy, and not who's next.

Ye I think Tommy was done. I loved the WHO's Next album. And John was a great French horn player.

No one listens to me when I rant and holler for a show based on the greatest hits of the Captain & Tennille!

Because they're smart. But imagine Muskrat Love.....

:rock:

Anyway, I'd love an all-Rush show. I've loved it when Renegades have used some of their stuff.

Crossmen and "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" last year notwithstanding, I think Meatloaf might have more to give. "Bat of Out of ####" surely is worth a go.

HH

EDIT: Why shoudn't I be able to type an H, then an E, then two L's and have it appear as a word? Is anyone really offended by that?

Edited by glory