Rock Bands As Show Themes

Carolina Gold (I believe) played a Dave Matthews Band show a couple years ago, Cadets played a Jethro Tull show in 04, Crossmen played a variety of rock songs in 05, and Scouts supposedly fused some Santana into their show this year.

Whether or not we've passed the point where it's vogue to play rock music as a show... which band would you like to have a corps take on for a show?

I've heard Radiohead and Dream Theater tossed around here and on other forums... I personally, was disappointed by the amount of Santana Scouts played in their show, and I'd love to see a corps play an all-Santana show (I mean the band Santana, not solo Carlos Santana). If any of you guys listen to Santana at all, I was thinking this would be a cool show:

Jingo

Samba Pa Ti

Incident at Neshabur

I guess you could probably throw in one of the more popular songs like Oye Como Va or Black Magic Woman if that wasn't enough. I can just imagine the auxiliary percussion parts and the groove that show would have.

Also, I think a Phish show would be good. Then again, that's because I'm a huge Phish fan. It could definitely have its possibilities.

So what do you think? What rock band would you like to see a corps use as show material (and I mean the whole show, not just snippets)?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (Gold) did do Dave Matthews. Teal Sound has as well, I believe, and Metallica.

We (Gold) did do Dave Matthews. Teal Sound has as well, I believe, and Metallica.

Teal also did a Dream Theater show I believe.

I would still like to hear some of the old symphonic Genesis done on the field. I think it would transfer very nicely

Fever played Sobriety in 2004. I'm not too familiar with Tool, but what I've heard would work rather well on the field. A lot more advanced than most of the stuff you hear on the radio, including mixed meters and the like. If a corps can make Sobriety work, I know Schism would work too.

Fleetwood Mac would be a good choice. They already had the one with... was it ....The Trojans?

Fleetwood Mac would be a good choice. They already had the one with... was it ....The Trojans?

That would be 'TUSK' - and the USC band performed with them on their album and video