Please explain

joeb

Okay, so here we have MikeD and SCVsopAaron complaining about how a ride cymbal was cheesy and unnecessary, and how it ruined a part of a show for them. Ahhhh, I love it. :P

Edited by Slow Adam

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a tad cheesy, but to me, it's because of how it was written. if they had stayed with the power ballad motif, thats fine, but then they tried to funk it up, and add all kinds of left hand stuff that was dirty.

in fact, that drumline was dirty period.

I remember doing the Largo as a ballad when I was a freshman in high school, before I really knew about drum corps. It was a direct copy of that arrangement, same solo parts and everything. I always thought, why did we do this to this piece. Although I have to say, if I hadn't known the symphony beforehand, I would've liked it a lot.

The horn staff at Spirit that summer dubbed that section "Elvis does the Largo".....

Still a great show but yeah...... kind of a bizzare interpretation of that segment.

Later, AA

AA:

funny..but there was a running joke amongst the membership that year that involved loosening the wingnuts on those ride cymbal stands so that the cymbals would progressivly fall as they were beaten.. ^0^

Imagine 9 PR snares having to stoop to play their parts :laugh:

I've said it before, Phantom has long had a tradition of "popping" (or "jazzing," if you will) their concert number; check out the 77 version of "Pagliacci" or the Latin percussion in the Spartacus 81 concert "Dance of the Rebels." I personally liked it. Now, the nimrod who yelled "Judges, are you watching?" Him I can do without. Like the judges had no idea what was going on.

Id have to agree with most I just did not care for that cymbal ride in the Largo section .. as for a tacit battery ... isnt there such thing as extra keyboards or aux parts ... could they not have learnd horn for that little section of the show. and as far as my take on the 05 Glassmen version of New World ... that has GOT to be the most messed up, tackey, god aweful version I have EVER heard of that piece