Piccolo Sopranos

Were the ones used in the 70's by SCV and Cavies V/R?

They used two valves. I have never seen a V/R picc, and until this eBay auction had never seen a single valved one.

Wish I could find mine - Larrie has #0001, I had #0002.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'91 Freelancers

Scott Stewart :angry:

That whole sequence was great.

SVC '78 - '79 in "Hopak" from "Gayne Ballet Suite." Bubba Ward and Ed ??? (Sorry, can't remember his last name. :( ) BTW anyone remember the two of them wearing jester hats?

Rumor has it that these were used pre-rotor times in the 50's and 60's. The history of the bugle, I think, is no valves or rotors during the caveman years. Then one valve was added in the 50's and 60's. Rotors in the late 60's. Then, of course, two valves in the mid-70's. I'm verifying this with the old farts on the Cavalier alumni forum.

The bugle on ebay has one piston. What I think is interesting is how it said it was designed for extreme upper registers. Does anyone know how large the horn is? There weren't any pictures that had any size reference items on the auction.

On a side note: I have a question about old bugles that don't have any valves. Are they able to hit any note, or are they confined to the partials? I.E. is it possible to just lip a chromatic scale on a bugle, or would there be a skip between partials? Are there even any partials?

On a side note: I have a question about old bugles that don't have any valves. Are they able to hit any note, or are they confined to the partials? I.E. is it possible to just lip a chromatic scale on a bugle, or would there be a skip between partials? Are there even any partials?

A bugle without any valves is just like a valved bugle with no valves pressed down. You are confined to one series of partials, the one based on the fundamental pitch of the instrument.

A DEG 2 valve pic went for over $1250 last month on Ebay. I have one of the Amreican Heritage ones, made from Benge parts, neat little horn. :)

That Whole Show was awesome. Such and Underrated hornline. One of my all time favorite

Off-topicish, but agreed, on all accounts.

That was a piccolo trumpet in Bb, not a piccolo soprano in G. Gabe Hoban is the guy who played it.

I've seen Taco post on DCP before. Would he like to share any pic sop anecdotes? :P

This is not Tacco, but he has a great story about the pic he used in 1987 with the Scouts. It is hilarious when he tells it, but i will try to do it justice. Dan used the pic in the solo in Stars and Stripes Forever that year. It would sit up at the front of the field until the appointed time when one of the front line members would pick it up and walk it over to where Dan was to play his solo from, that way Dan didnt have to carry it around the field for the whole show. For the Drum Corps Midwest Championships in DeKalb, IL Dan left the drill to go up front and get his pic and play his solo. When he gets to the appointed place all he sees is Doug Deams, the front guy that was supposed to hand him his pic, without the horn and he just kinda shruggs his shoulders! Like, I dont have a clue what is going on here!!! Dan, completely caught off guard has to make a snap decision and decides to play the pic solo on his regular soprano. Well it was horrible, Dan was a great player but not even he could pull this off! The whole crowd at the show, that was on their feet with excitement slowly began to sit down as Dan's solo brought the whole moment to a quick death!

The best part of the story is after the show, Dan is walking around the backside of the stadium probably beating himself up for what had happened and trying to figure out what had happened when he sees his pic sitting under a tree by the parking lot!! The front line had forgotten it and left it there when they were loading up for the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan does laugh about his moment now, but Im sure it was tough on him for a couple of days. Good memories.

:blink:

Are you kidding, Larrie? I can't remember DEG having a pic that early..I only remember the Benge Heritage jobs like you used. I guess I never got to see BK that early, besides we had our own Blue Knight corps back then.

If VK used those pics in '76, I hope they never got caught...2 valves weren't legal till '77, if my decrepit memory serves me correctly.

Pat

You're right and wrong, Pat.

Two-valve bugles were not legal until the 1977 season, but Zig Kanstul petitioned DCI to field test a set of American Heritage 2V horns in 1976, and the request was granted. VK was the corps to use them, as they had been Zig's test corps all through the Olds Ultratone years. (Zig was a co-founder of VK)

Neat side note to this story. Those first 2V sopranos were stamped with the Benge logo on the bells.

Garry