Mini corps drill

In Music City Legend's first year in 2004 we didn't want to be just a standstill corps so we kept adding drill to our show more and more as the season progressed. By the time we got to Scranton we were doing more drill than any other mini corps in competition. In hindsight that may have hurt us a bit competitively because we might have had a better musical performance if we hadn't marched as much. On the other hand it might have helped us to create a greater deal of GE. If I remember correctly there's no specific language about visual performance or effect on the mini corps judges sheets. It was also difficult to march on that sloped parking lot on Montage Mountain so I was very glad when they moved I&E to the stadium in 2005.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is drill even a judged caption for mini corps?

Personally I'm not a big fan of drill. I think it detracts from the drumcorps experience, but is in part, part of the experience. In senior corps when you're weekends only, squeezing in 80 sets of drill and 25 horn manuals, takes pretty much ALL of your allocated rehearsal time. I prefer to play, because at the end of the season, that is what carries over to the next season. It's not like I'm gonna be asked what my spot was for set #9 of the opener for 198? in a job interview.

I am a HUGE fan of drill. Drill is what Drum Corps is all about. Standstill's are for Winter shows.

W/O drill, how can you call it Drum Corps? Drill is very important. It adds color. Any musician can just stand and play. Marching and playing at the same time takes a special talent. We even did drill in Bootcamp.

At your job interview, they may not ask where your spot was for set #9, however, they may ask what Corps that you MARCHED with. In the past, I have listed Drum Corps as one of my extra-curicular activities on my resume. I would explain the use of DRILL while playing. It has always impressed the interviewer. Especially when I mentioned that I MARCH with the THUNDERBIRDS!

This is MY story and I'm stickin' to it!!

We were going to use the mini corps as a vehicle for those who aren't able to march a show. ie. the physically broke people who can still play a bugle real well. :lol: Is that wrong for us to do. :blink:

We were going to use the mini corps as a vehicle for those who aren't able to march a show. ie. the physically broke people who can still play a bugle real well. :lol: Is that wrong for us to do. :blink:

I think that is a fantastic Idea and I have been pushing for MCL to do just that over the last two years.

So long as it doesn't distract from the primary corps itself and if you have enough people interested who aren't able to keep up with the physical demands of the corps then by all means give them an opportunity to represent MCL with a mini-corps. My only concern with having members of the main corps also doing the mini corps is that they would get burned out. That's why I didn't encourage it with Legend in '05. Now once MCL grows and more and more people want to be involved then the mini-corps will serve a greater purpose. I imagine Austin Stars will do something like this, too.

I think that is a fantastic Idea and I have been pushing for MCL to do just that over the last two years.

There are other venues during I&E's that do not have drill as an issue. Mixed Ensemble? It is my objectve, being a committee member of MCA, to have at least "some movement" be required during each competing Corps performance. However, not everyone is in agreement w/me. I am stuck on the words: "Mini-Corps." I define this as "small(er) drumcorps." Drumcorps use drill. I realize that at this juncture using drill is each organizations prerogative. It is not required. It is my opinion that if drill is used, then it should be acknowledged on the score sheets. Any musician can stand in one spot and play. Drill makes things interesting. Adds to the show.

Disclaimer:

My opinion does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the THUNDERBIRDS.

There are other venues during I&E's that do not have drill as an issue. Mixed Ensemble? It is my objectve, being a committee member of MCA, to have at least "some movement" be required during each competing Corps performance.

Speaking of MCA, I have not heard much from them lately. I also went to the web page and get a blank white screen.

Edited by ScottWilt

MCA is still ongoing. Many of the questions brought up here (about a variety of adjudication issues) are presently being studied. We hope to make recommendations and find agreement as to what at least the majority of competing mini corps want the mini corps activity to become. We have also had some inquiries from several additional mini corps about joining.

As has been noted, the website is presently down. We are in the process of revamping and improving the site and hope to have it up and running in the near future.

Strutta

MCA PR

In my OWN opinion:

Regarding the drill question, presently there is no caption for drill. I believe that drill should NOT be required. However, it should be used IF it enhances your show and doesn't hurt your performance. I certainly see the benefit of changing sets depending upon music selections to put featured sections of your corps, up front. However, a drill requirement would kill the opportunity to participate for many members that presently march elsewhere.

Of course mini-corps has other drill issues. You can't make a five point star with four people, or an arc with two, or a box with three. Unless you have more props than people. And I'm certainly not a fan of lugging out 80lbs of props and then performing on my 8lbs horn for 10 1/2 minutes. And then turning right around and lugging the same props off the field. Even if you get to strategically stage the equipment, it's still a logistical nightmare. Throw in some thick grass, some rain, some wind, some mud, white uniforms, and/or have a prop bearer be absent or injured and there had better be some beer after the show.