Mini corps drill

In my OWN opinion:

Regarding the drill question, presently there is no caption for drill. I believe that drill should NOT be required. However, it should be used IF it enhances your show and doesn't hurt your performance. I certainly see the benefit of changing sets depending upon music selections to put featured sections of your corps, up front. However, a drill requirement would kill the opportunity to participate for many members that presently march elsewhere.

strutta can't march anyway. I wait for February......then March. See?

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the first Mini Corps that puts together some sort of field show like BLAST did will have something.

Its just a matter of thinking outside the box and converting a stage show into a field show.

Edited by camel lips

I think the first Mini Corps that puts together some sort of field show like BLAST did will have something.

Its just a matter of thinking outside the box and converting a stage show into a field show.

The THUNDERBIRDS were the first to implement drill in their Mini-Corps performance. I believe that was the year we scored 100.5. How do you score 100.5 when 100 is perfect? What does this all mean? We used "BLAST" as a reference. However, the THUNDERBIRDS weren't going to do any singing. We play Drums and Horns pretty good, but we don't sing very well unless were on 'da bus. lol

MCA is still ongoing. Many of the questions brought up here (about a variety of adjudication issues) are presently being studied. We hope to make recommendations and find agreement as to what at least the majority of competing mini corps want the mini corps activity to become. We have also had some inquiries from several additional mini corps about joining.

As has been noted, the website is presently down. We are in the process of revamping and improving the site and hope to have it up and running in the near future.

Strutta

MCA PR

In my OWN opinion:

Regarding the drill question, presently there is no caption for drill. I believe that drill should NOT be required. However, it should be used IF it enhances your show and doesn't hurt your performance. I certainly see the benefit of changing sets depending upon music selections to put featured sections of your corps, up front. However, a drill requirement would kill the opportunity to participate for many members that presently march elsewhere.

I like the aspect of drill in minicorps, but I too do not think it should be required. I feel that those who want to march drill should feel free to go for it, and those who don't, don't :). Could it be part of GE, or would that put non-marching minicorps at a disadvantage?

I like the aspect of drill in minicorps, but I too do not think it should be required. I feel that those who want to march drill should feel free to go for it, and those who don't, don't :). Could it be part of GE, or would that put non-marching minicorps at a disadvantage?

I agree. I do not think that drill in your minicorps performance should be required, however, If drill is used, credit should be given. How 'bout the idea of 2 classes? Marching and Non-Marching? This could shut me up. I know which class the THUNDERBIRDS would be in. We will ALWAYS use drill. (As long as I'm around)

It is my belief that any musician can just stand there, with a music stand, and play. It takes commitment to learn a drill and memorize music. I still DO NOT understand the use of music stands at Championships.

MERRY @#^&%*# CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!

I agree. I do not think that drill in your minicorps performance should be required, however, If drill is used, credit should be given. How 'bout the idea of 2 classes? Marching and Non-Marching? This could shut me up. I know which class the THUNDERBIRDS would be in. We will ALWAYS use drill. (As long as I'm around)

It is my belief that any musician can just stand there, with a music stand, and play. It takes commitment to learn a drill and memorize music. I still DO NOT understand the use of music stands at Championships.

MERRY @#^&%*# CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!

I think you and me are on the same page of music as far as what WE expect out or OUR mini corps.

I don't want to see the rules changed though.

I think it should be left up to each and every corps to determine if they want to do drill or not.

There are a lot of seniors out there (real seniors) that still have the spirit in thier hearts to do corps but not the stamina.Mini corps gives them that option.

I think you and me are on the same page of music as far as what WE expect out or OUR mini corps.

I don't want to see the rules changed though.

I think it should be left up to each and every corps to determine if they want to do drill or not.

There are a lot of seniors out there (real seniors) that still have the spirit in thier hearts to do corps but not the stamina.Mini corps gives them that option.

I do agree about each and every corps determining whether or not they do drill. However, if a corps goes that "extra mile" for learning and performing their drill, credit should be given. This is why I suggest the idea of having 2 classes. How can 2 corps.....1 that uses drill and 1 that doesn't, be fairly judged in the same venue? This is all I am saying.

There is an MCA meeting next month in Albany. Drill and many other issues will be discussed and voted on. I'll be there. Gary and "Cheeze" will be there as well. Looking forward to slammin' a few, or several, beers with strutta. strutta seems OK........sometimes.

Edited by SoloSop420

Amen to that!

Of course mini-corps has other drill issues. You can't make a five point star with four people, or an arc with two, or a box with three. Unless you have more props than people. And I'm certainly not a fan of lugging out 80lbs of props and then performing on my 8lbs horn for 10 1/2 minutes. And then turning right around and lugging the same props off the field. Even if you get to strategically stage the equipment, it's still a logistical nightmare. Throw in some thick grass, some rain, some wind, some mud, white uniforms, and/or have a prop bearer be absent or injured and there had better be some beer after the show.