Mini corps drill

Of course ... there had better be some beer after the show.

We'll just call it "gatorade" b**bs .

I can even bring some orange food coloring...

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the drill question, presently there is no caption for drill. I believe that drill should NOT be required. However, it should be used IF it enhances your show and doesn't hurt your performance. I certainly see the benefit of changing sets depending upon music selections to put featured sections of your corps, up front. However, a drill requirement would kill the opportunity to participate for many members that presently march elsewhere.

Not bad for and East coast bahstad. I gotta say I agree with you. Focus on entertaining. If the drill get's in the way, take the hit. Now if you forget to play the last three notes..............

Not bad for and East coast bahstad. I gotta say I agree with you. Focus on entertaining. If the drill get's in the way, take the hit. Now if you forget to play the last three notes..............

Merry, Merry, Dug-o-rama!

Maybe you guys should've asked Santa for the last three notes???

Have you seen the video or heard the audio of the entire mini corps show yet? I'd be interested in the west coast whacko take on all of it... :P

Drill should be optional. I'd ahte for someone to decide NOT to put out a minicorps if they thought they had to do drill.

But, it can be effective. We did drill in our 2001 Show.

(that's a link to a video of our 2001 Championship performance)

Edited by randomnoise

Merry, Merry, Dug-o-rama!

Maybe you guys should've asked Santa for the last three notes???

Have you seen the video or heard the audio of the entire mini corps show yet? I'd be interested in the west coast whacko take on all of it... :P

Mike Nash played it for us during a SoCal Dream staff meeting a while back...I just sat there in stunned silence....kinda like those missing notes.

At least you guys all had the collective brainfart at the same time!! It actually sounded planned.

MAN, am I glad you and Rich didn;t forget this 20 year ago!!

Drill should be optional. I'd ahte for someone to decide NOT to put out a minicorps if they thought they had to do drill.
I agree with this suggestion as well. Drill should be optonal. HOWEVER, this is why I have suggested (again) 2 separate classes. One class which utilizes movement, and one class that does not. If 2 classes is out of the question, then, the issue of FAIRLY judging corps that use drill, and corps that don't, needs to be discussed. I don't believe it is fair to judge a corps that stand and play, with music stands, against a corps which utilizes movement. (2 different animals!) There are other venues at I&E's that do not have the issue of drill.

On a final note, I would like to state: "No matter what is decided, in reference to DRILL, the THUNDERBIRDS will ALWAYS do our very best to emulate the drumcorps experience." This includes the use of movement during our show. We have 3 objectives every year at I&E's:

1. Win the crowd

2. Win the medal

3. Win the PARTY!

6 times we have achieved all 3, but, 2 OUTTA 3 AIN'T BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One class...do drill if you want and take the hit if it makes you look bad or sound bad...(or isnt good drill?)

With the exception of the Renegades and MCL, no other corps has really done much drill, including Erie. Movement perhaps, but really it isnt what the DCA corps do...moving and playing throughout the majority of the show.

What Erie, GR, and Mass Brass does should be all that is needed...a small amount of movement to change the look or sound of the next production.

Minne Brass won last year by standing in an arc and playing their stones off!!!

Donny

Interesting thread so far. The way we're looking at it for Hot City is it's a good way for a lot of to get together and play, have a good time and perform from time to time. We're also trying to keep the rehearsal time down as our day jobs/real lifes can get busy (which I'm sure is true of many Sr. corps members).

That being said, doing some "drill" to change set-up for tunes seems workable, but going beyond that just isn't part of our, ummm, mission statement! I can only imagine the time it would take for mini corps members who are part of larger corps trying to field competitive shows trying to also do more drill with their mini corps shows.

I guess if I want the "drill" experience, I'll watch a DCA show, and when I need a fix of talented players letting their hair down, playing thier a^$#s off and having a great time, I head to the mini corps show.