Mean judges

Just curious, but did you hear the comments he made on the tape he gave the Spartans?? Seems only fair.

I haven't heard what he said on either tape, but then I wouldn't claim to have gotten the "shaft" from a judge who had me in first place.

Why not go to the Ensemble Music, Ensemble Visual or Percussion judges, all of whom had you in 3rd?

this is severely off topic, but whatever... we were getting beaten consistently in those captions throughout the year, so it was really no surprise that we lost at "grand" finals - we actually came in fourth in ensemble visual at Division 2 "Finals".

Also, Albert Lo put as at second in ensemble music at D2 Finals, where we had gotten third at both prelims and grand finals. Throughout the year, he had been giving us good numbers and putting us either well above (brass) or very close (music ensemble) to spartans all year. And when we gave what we felt was far and away our best brass performance of the year at grand finals, it was a bit of a surprise that we only won by .1.

I wish fromthepressbox had more D2/3 scores on their archive (i'm not blaming them, it's completely understandable that they have to limit their bandwith usage), because the scores from finals week don't really underscore what was a year-long trend.

Edited by TTitans909

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shirley Whitcomb did that a lot in 84...'course, we WERE usually playing our opener at the time..."Bacchinalia"....a Romam orgy....rather appropriate!

This was usually before she commented on a certain short sop player overhyping a bit....oops.

My favorite judge comment on over-hyping:

I don't remember what show or the name of the judge, but he was doing field brass at some show in '04. He was hanging out near the baritones and euphoniums during the hit of the ballad when someone caught his ear. His comments went something like: "One of the lower baritones is really sticking out here...by a lot. Wow. In fairness, he doesn't appear to be blowing out his embouchure, but he is overblowing the horn more than it can take, more than filling it up. Wait a minute-- your lower parts are using euphoniums. How are you even doing that?!"*

*I was not the euph player, although like me, the guy was a bass trombonist the rest of the year. He was using his 1 1/4 G mouthpiece while doing this.

Shirley Whitcomb did that a lot in 84...'course, we WERE usually playing our opener at the time..."Bacchinalia"....a Romam orgy....rather appropriate!

This was usually before she commented on a certain short sop player overhyping a bit....oops.

Shirlee and Kathy!!! hahahaha they haven't changed! But they do always say "Thank you sweeties, that was tasty!"

I was not a part of this band, but have heard about the tape... very tricky drill move, one person slipped and fell, and probably 10-12 others fell down over top of him...

One judge said, in an extremely sarcastic tone, "oh i love the domino effect here, really connects with the music" or something along those lines. :blink:

That one had me on the floor laughing. I love that kind of sarcasm. If I were part of that band it certainly would have put me in a better mood.

Can't get much meaner than this:

Things could be worse. We used to have the GE percussion and brass tapes from the prelims performance of the 1976 Kilties. Dr. Baggs was really pretty nice, but he was imploring the corps to play out more. Right after the final push in "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" he exclaimed, "Now the Kilties are being the Kilties." Then there's the GE percussion tape with Cosmo Barbaro. Complete silence during Knightbridge March, the opener, then, "What can I say? The tune sucks!"

The band director I student taught under once was allowed to sit with a concert band judge for a junior high band contest when he himself was training to be a band director. This judge was known for being a really nice guy, but one band was annoying the daylights out of him by continuously playing loud and unmusical. The judge first said into his tape recorder, "I get the feeling this band is getting ready to explode." He then added, "The worst thing that could happen to this band is one more rehearsal under its present conductor." ZOWIE!!!

Got a lot of BS from Mark Ponzo. All you folks who participated in DCM know of him well. I remember his comments clear as day.

2001 "And what was the point of that, a waste"

2002 "Only 8 horns, have fun"

And not to mention how he gave me so much praise at DCM I&E and then get the sheet and see he butched me for stuff he said I did well.

I don't even pay too much attention to what judges have to say anymore. And for those who've marched with me know that when instructors play judges tapes, it's nap time for me.

I think I always tried to be professional out on the field, especially if someone really "stank it up" that night. You know, a lot of guys will write down EVERY THING you say on the tape, so not only will they have heard it, but they will analyze it to death before critique. One humerous thing that happened in '92 was when I judged the Troopers in Ensemble Brass in Alburqueque. I couldn't hear most of their show due to staging issues on the field and spent almost their entire show listening to them with my head out of the press box. From what I remember, I didn't say anything terribly "bad" to them on the tape, but I guess that didn't matter. I know that I put Black Gold ahead of them in Ensemble Brass (quite significantly, I do remember). Their head horn instructor at that time (Bill ?) came up to me at critique and said something to the effect of "you stuck us like a pig tonight" (or something colorful to that extent). I was standing next to Steve Barnhill who judged Field Brass that night and we both looked at each other in amazement. He then proceeded to berade me about the tape, what I had to say, and the numbers for that show. That was rough-I didn't know what to say because that was the first time anyone had lit me up at a critique. Oddly enough, at Denver at DATR that following Saturday, whoever the Ensemble Brass judge was that night put the Troopers way ahead of Black Gold. I definatly didn't agree with that move and I still don't to this day. Black Gold was far superior at that time of the season than the Troopers were. I know it was a matter of "politics" and nothing is going to change my mind about it. Now festival judging, well, that's another story. :blink:

hahaha...awesome stuff...all the tapes ive heard (and i have the dca feild percusion tape from scranton) have been nice...but i still cant figure out what "balance problems in the snare segment inparticular" means

odds are heights arent lining up player to player and its causing a lack of clarity and readability

short sop player overhyping a bit

You got THAT right!!!!!

:P