Season that made you cry.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 Blue Devils

They were my big reason for going to the Allentown Eastern Classic. They were supposed to be phenomenal this year, yet with a very experienced hornline and a great drumline their show was so bad it dropped them from 2nd place in '04 to 4th in '05. And the voice-over!

"And the winner is..." not you.

lets see, I don't think any season is perfect...

Americanos 2001 - We were an incredibly untalented group, but we busted our butts as much, or more, than any corps I have seen since. At one point we relearned the entire show, music and drill, in 3 or 4 days!

Americanos 2002 - The season had so much potential, larger hornline, better show, higher performance levels, we peaked in Eerie as we came in 2nd or 3rd (right behind Blue Stars or Revolution, can't remmembre). After the finals show that night was canceled we just kinda lingered, and eventually died as a group. Our director Joe (now of Kiwanis) announced he was leaving, and several incidents at our housing site led to our dismissal, and us having to find places to stay for the remainder of the week. It was one of the worst endings to a season you can imagine.

Phantom Regiment 2003 - Yeah, the show, the season, traveling...it was a dream come true, until we went to Florida. Say it with me now, rain! After a week of rehearsal at a school where we were required to wear t-shirts all day, constantly leave the field due to the heavy rain, and kids were registering, we arrived at quarterfinals. We performed so late at quarterfinals because of the rain delay that there were maybe 100 people at most in the stadium, and the Blue Devils didn't even go on till well after midnight (the announcer: "Please return later today, for the semi-finals competition...") Then we received our brass score...I won't lie, tears were shed, and curses screamed (back at the housing site where no one could hear of course, we have to present class!)

However, the semi-finals and finals performances in 2003 were on fire, because we no longer had anything to lose. The season was never about winning, but once the pressure was lifted that show truly took on a life all its own.

Those summers held many of the most grueling and horrible rehearsal moments of my life, but I'd give anything to relive every moment of it. It was the culmination of my experiences, both good and bad, has helped shape me into who I am today.

and several incidents at our housing site led to our dismissal, and us having to find places to stay for the remainder of the week. It was one of the worst endings to a season you can imagine.

yeah that really sucked. It was weird returning to the housing site and all of Canos stuff was gone. It wasn't until later at Camp Randall when I talked to some members that I found out what happen.

1986 VK. I've said it before and I'll say it again. How we made finals was beyond me for a season that BARELY held together.

Seasons that made me cry?

Rainout. After rainout. After a rained out rehearsal. After a rained out run-through. After rainout.

I can't imagine adding up the rehearsal time we lost that summer, not to mention the time other corps must have lost as well. I'd love to see another week of good weather tacked on to the end of that season and watch everybody's finished products. That was the one year I can say that I marched where we never got close to our potential. Since 01, the folks at the Blue team have always made a habit of skyrocketing on finals week. In 2003 we just tried to A: Not just give up and go home, and B: realize that this season would end and that 2004 and the years after would be a blast.

I loved running into other corps in the parking lot and ask them how their tours were going. I was usually just greeted with "...wet." :)

BTW, does anybody remember exactly how long the semifinals rain delay lasted? All I recall is having enough time to play a lot of hands of euchre, get bored, hang out at the other end of the bus, and end up going back to play another two full games.

with you 100% of the way there man. Being that it was my ageout year made it all the more painfull. As much as missing finals for me in 2001 stung, 2003 was even more so. We had some serious design issues that we really should not have had to begin with (mainly in nutville) not only kept our score below what we were capable of (and IMO performing at when we hit finals week) but took away opportunities to perform our show. We ended up missing the evening in both Indy and San Antonio, much to our dismay after the hot start we had to the season. To top that off, having such a long stretch of shows (including my home show) that were either rained out or standstills just added to the frustration that was the 2003 season.

The season that made me cry was my very last season in junior drum and bugle corps.

I was so relieved that my time, effort (after reconstructing the ENTIRE first half of the

show) AND money was rewarded with a chance to compete in finals.. I cried and cried and cried.

Lots of people know what it's like to be in 12th place.. by a smidgin.. Yeesh.

And after 12 years.. I was done. THAT was IT for me.

Well.. then I marched in DCA. That's a whole nother subject! :)

Sharon

WOw.......

Let's see....I think I shed a few tears at the end of the 81 season, not because it was over. I shed a couple of tears at the end of the 85 season when my sister came up to me during retreat and told me she marched that year to be with me at the moment in time, when I aged out.

Other than that.....

No tears out of negativity. I had a great time and I love the fact I get to watch the corps I marched with excite my kids to no end.....as long as that standard of excellence is maintained and my kids watch with wide eyed amazement...won't see me crying.

Edited by bd5times