Judges Told "Take The Summer Off"

For the next two years, there will be no judges on the field at any drum corps show/competition. There will be no official placement assigned to any corps whatsoever.

After reading some of the current threads, I thought about why people get involved with drum corps. Why do members march? What gives them the most pleasure while performing at a show? What is the priority of directors concerning shows? What drives designers during their creative work?

What would happen if all green shirts were told to take a year or two off? The only outside barometer a corps would have to indicate if they performed well would be the audience reaction in the stands. What do you think would change in drum corps, if anything? Decrease strive for perfection? Choice of music? Attendance? Popularity? Lack of member interest? Increased interest? More or less camaraderie among corps? A better experience or reduced enjoyment for members and fans? You be the "judge."

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would probably get a similar quality as that of a good college marching band. Colleges go not ONLY play music that everyone knows; but their primary goal is to entertain their audience. Most colleges will not accept sloppy performances either, because that does not impress their audiences.

I think attendance would stay about the same.

The only thing that would change would be a corps approach to designing a show. The only thing they would have to worry about would the audience's reaction. They would not be as cautious in terms of trying things that radically different.

You would probably get a similar quality as that of a good college marching band. Colleges go not ONLY play music that everyone knows; but their primary goal is to entertain their audience. Most colleges will not accept sloppy performances either, because that does not impress their audiences.

I think attendance would stay about the same.

The only thing that would change would be a corps approach to designing a show. The only thing they would have to worry about would the audience's reaction. They would not be as cautious in terms of trying things that radically different.

Wow well said. I second that!

and then it would be DCM 2004.... and that's not a good thing.

In the context of making one show a unjudged "fan" vote (within the DCI schedule), why wouldn't it be a good thing?

Fans feel like they play a part, corps get to play without being judged...seems like everyone wins. Even professional sports leagues have a "customer appreciation night". :)

The problem with fans judging is... When it's someones home show, you can generally expect that "meter" on the goal post is going to read a higher number for the night! :) (That's what SHOULD happen, but I know some home shows where the home corps didnt get much applause...)

I personally think attendance would go down. I don't go to a baseball game to simply watch two teams play so I can be entertained. I go to see my team WIN!! While I enjoy watching and applauding the efforts of each and every corps I see, utlimately I want MY corps to win! I could be in the minority here though! b**bs