Judges Told "Take The Summer Off"

Maybe not stupid, but not as well-educated as a DCI judge should be.

It just wouldn't make any sense. It's easy to be entertaining. It's difficult to be amazing.

it's incredible to be amzingly entertaining. and just because someone is well educated doesnt mean they are smart. i know people w/doctorates who in the real world are blubbering idiots who can barely tie their shoes

the problem with fan based judging is to be totally fair you have to have a neutral site and then have to take into account that fans have favorites and non favorites and will vote accordingly regardless to how the corps perform.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One direction that I don't like where DCI is going...that if a corps wants to win...they have to get to the judges,,,not the fans.

Or am I wrong here??

Well...I know that lots of people loved the Cadets this year...ditto Regiment...ditto Cavies and Scouts....Coats, Crown...Blue Devils....these are the top scoring corps as well as extremely popular.

Except if it was just one show...I don't see a corps doing "stuff" just for that single event, outside of some sort of one-time gimmick.

me either. i see em going more mom and pop to please the fans

You would probably get a similar quality as that of a good college marching band. Colleges go not ONLY play music that everyone knows; but their primary goal is to entertain their audience. Most colleges will not accept sloppy performances either, because that does not impress their audiences.

I think attendance would stay about the same.

The only thing that would change would be a corps approach to designing a show. The only thing they would have to worry about would the audience's reaction. They would not be as cautious in terms of trying things that radically different.

So why doesn't DCI create a scoring system to reward shows designed for the audiences? Then we get the best of both.

Sorry, what a dumb idea. :huh::worthy:

One direction that I don't like where DCI is going...that if a corps wants to win...they have to get to the judges,,,not the fans.

Or am I wrong here??

You are correct. I think DCI needs to set a scoring system that rewards corps for going after the fans. The judges will judge what they are told to judge.

But what about the fans (not judges) who think shows like that, especially late 90s Glassmen and SCV, are some of the best shows they have ever seen?

They seem to be quite the minority.

Maybe not stupid, but not as well-educated as a DCI judge should be.

It just wouldn't make any sense. It's easy to be entertaining. It's difficult to be amazing.

And it is great to be amazingly entertaining. You can be both. No reason to sacrifice one for the other. None at all.

Well, I think giving fans one show out of a season wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing. An entire season as the original post suggests is a different story.

I also agree with your last statement; I think the true magic, though, is when you can be both to people. Those are shows for the ages, and most of the time, people will recognize that. :)

:worthy::beer::huh::beer::huh::huh::beer::huh::huh::beer: