Judges Told "Take The Summer Off"

But what about the fans (not judges) who think shows like that, especially late 90s Glassmen and SCV, are some of the best shows they have ever seen?

Include me in that group as well...but I'm just speaking from an overall standpoint from the "Joe Fan" that doesn't obsess over it like we do on a daily basis here (hence the "cerebral" in quotes). :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet somehow we manage to keep paying for the tickets and the souvies every year. :P

Maybe not stupid, but not as well-educated as a DCI judge should be.

It just wouldn't make any sense. It's easy to be entertaining. It's difficult to be amazing.

Maybe not stupid, but not as well-educated as a DCI judge should be.

It just wouldn't make any sense. It's easy to be entertaining. It's difficult to be amazing.

Well, I think giving fans one show out of a season wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing. An entire season as the original post suggests is a different story.

I also agree with your last statement; I think the true magic, though, is when you can be both to people. Those are shows for the ages, and most of the time, people will recognize that. :)

Those are shows for the ages, and most of the time, people will recognize that. :)

True enough. But I could just see something like Phantom beating BD in 03 with a fan-judging system, and that's just not right.

True enough. But I could just see something like Phantom beating BD in 03 with a fan-judging system, and that's just not right.

Yeah, or Madison ganking the Cavaliers in 1995. Even though there's a lot of emotion at play, in retrospect, most of us (although some lay people, like my 60 yr. old mother-in-law, who thinks Madison is the best ever after seeing them in 2001, can't) see how BD beats Phantom in '03, and so on.

However, one show...and it doesn't need to be a regional or "big" show, could be a fan appreciation night, where you can still keep the field shows judged... but maybe throw in "instant encores" a la the Tour of Champions and have everyone learn one tune to play altogether for the fans at then end like "Sing Sing Sing". Kind of like the YEA! "Music is Cool" for a big audience.

Just something a little special for folks...I think it would really pay nice dividends for the older audience members and those that only follow the activity on a local level.

In the context of making one show a unjudged "fan" vote (within the DCI schedule), why wouldn't it be a good thing?

Fans feel like they play a part, corps get to play without being judged...seems like everyone wins. Even professional sports leagues have a "customer appreciation night". :)

I thought the original topic was ..."what if judges take a year or two off"

Fans are one of the reasons why corps perform on the field. At the same time, not all fans are qualified to judge or place any corps. I know any member would like to hear suggestions and comments from qualified judges to enhance the corps field performance and actually get the best of the experience, esp at the cost of tour fees. The few DCM "fan" vote shows I performed in only had one good thing to it, good crowds.

Edited by MelloHorn13

In reality, don't the fans express their "score" at every show now just by

their reaction of screaming, applauding, stomping, and every now and then

throwing babies?

I just wish the GE guys would take notice of those babies and show it on

their sheets.

The thing that has bugged me the most about DCI judging (and BOA for

that matter) is their idea of General Effect seems to have little to do with

audience reaction...which I thought was the real goal of performing.

In reality, don't the fans express their "score" at every show now just by

their reaction of screaming, applauding, stomping, and every now and then

throwing babies?

I just wish the GE guys would take notice of those babies and show it on

their sheets.

The thing that has bugged me the most about DCI judging (and BOA for

that matter) is their idea of General Effect seems to have little to do with

audience reaction...which I thought was the real goal of performing.

Fiesta Bowl judges have it together! They have an audience appeal caption! If you want to be judged the correct way, go to the Fiesta Bowl! (/sarcasm) :)