Judges Told "Take The Summer Off"

Yes, I believe most corps would say this is their mission. Again, I have had music educaters tell me that the first thing to learn is that you perform for your audience.

Are you saying a corps primary mission should be to entertain their audiences above all else?

I think we are talking about two slightly different things. I'm talking about the overall mission of the corps itself...why does it exist?

I think you may be referring to a corps' on-field mission...that they should seek to entertain their audience first, then everything else after that.

Is that correct?

Part of the education of the members it how to perform, and thereby to entertain the audience. Corps don't, and should not, adopt an "entertain at all costs" attitude.

This activity is not about the fans in the stands, it is about the marching members and providing them with a "positively life-changing experience" (isn't that the BOA motto or something??). I think people loose sight of that. I am NOT saying the experience of the fans doesn't matter...it does very much. But it does not matter as much as the experience of the corps members.

Of course, the fans do need to be happy for a corps to be successful...the fans buy the tickets and souvies, and in a lot of cases, the fans become the corps members, staff and volunteers.

M

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying a corps primary mission should be to entertain their audiences above all else?

I think we are talking about two slightly different things. I'm talking about the overall mission of the corps itself...why does it exist?

I think you may be referring to a corps' on-field mission...that they should seek to entertain their audience first, then everything else after that.

Is that correct?

Part of the education of the members it how to perform, and thereby to entertain the audience. Corps don't, and should not, adopt an "entertain at all costs" attitude.

This activity is not about the fans in the stands, it is about the marching members and providing them with a "positively life-changing experience" (isn't that the BOA motto or something??). I think people loose sight of that. I am NOT saying the experience of the fans doesn't matter...it does very much. But it does not matter as much as the experience of the corps members.

Of course, the fans do need to be happy for a corps to be successful...the fans buy the tickets and souvies, and in a lot of cases, the fans become the corps members, staff and volunteers.

M

I'm saying that my middle school band director bluntly said, "we don't play what you want to play, we don't play what I want to play. We play what they want us to play." That was a part of the education.

Except THEY don't all want even close to the same thing. That's why we have variety. Here's a little analogy. I know it is not all-encompassing or entirely accurate, but I trust you can bear with me. The year 2000, 2 Champions. Cavaliers and Cadets. There are 2 kinds of fans. Fans that think Cavies should have won, and fans that think that Cadets should have won. Cavies show was technically immaculate. It was modern, dark, but also at times, sterile. The Cadet's show was total showmanship. Tons of energy, hype, and emotion. While visually the forms were not as clean, they more than made up for it by "selling the show". Now people are going to argue forever about who should have won it all. That is because the 2 shows are completely different, and each great in their own right.

Drumcorpsfan, and a few others; It seems to me that you are asking for corps to all shift their programming to more of a Cadets 2000 style. Where shows are happy, energetic, and they get people screaming with joy.

And what I, Matt, and a few others are trying to say is that why should all corps perform similar style shows? Why can't you have your Cadets 2000 or Scouts 95, and we have out Cavies 2002 or Vanguard 03? Isn't there room in drum corps for everyone to have something they like? Arn't there enough corps that you don't HAVE to like every style? I'll say it right now, there is not a single Cadets show I enjoy watching. But I would never state that I want them to play a show like "Frameworks" simple because that is what I enjoy. I know that there are people who HATE Frameworks, and love most of what the Cadets have been doing for the past decade or so. It's called "Variety". You can't please everyone all of the time. So it's better to please some of the people some of the time. And that's we have now. 21+ Div I corps all with differnt programs geared for differnt types of audiences. That is what is great about this activity. There is something for everyone. Not every corps is going to emote like Cadets or BD, and honestly, not ever fan WANTS them to. I respect other people's desire enough not to want to see 21 technical concept shows. Is it too much to ask that others respect my wishs by not wanting 21 rowdy jazz shows?

Here is where our paths diverge.

the showmanship you think has been de-emphasized and is missing is most certainly NEITHER.. but alive and well and THRIVING in DCI!

Your version of showmanship may not be in vogue anymore, but showmanship in and of itself exists -- particularly in the execution of the new technical levels these kids achieve.. That's what we old timers used to call "hot dogging" and if you don't think the kids on the field today "get that" then you're grossly mistaken. Not only do they "get it" but that's THEIR version of "showmanship."

To take that a step further, I believe that the MAJORITY of bleacher creatures "get it," too!

Going back to an old way will only stagnate the activity to appease a small minority of fans.. but that's just my personal take.

Have a look sometime.

:)

Stef

Well, Stef, we all have a right to our own opinions and you certainly cannot speak for me. I believe showmanship is deemphasized to some degree in some corps. How often is the word "showmanship" mentioned here are anywhere else within the drum corps community? I agree that the technical aspect of shows is indeed emphasized and performed with a high degree of excellence. The New York Symphony Orchestra could play a piece perfectly, but that doesn't mean they exhibited a high degree of showmanship, in my opinion. I believe that the "MAJORITY of bleacher creatures" as you call them, would like to see more emphasis on showmanship. Why do I say this? Because of their increased reaction when it is exibited. I never said it didn't exist. As far as "going back to the old way," I don't know what you're talking about. Are you assuming things here?

As far as your "Have a look sometime" comment, well I've been involved in drum corps since 1998. I've seen literally hundreds of drum corps shows. I've been on seven summer tours. You are not the only person who has experience with drum corps. I believe we will just have to agree to disagree.

What would happen if all green shirts were told to take a year or two off?

I really believe you would get the same exact quality from the corps. Corps' members/staff push themselves not for the next tenth, but to make the absolute best product that they can. At least that's what my corps did.

In this argument, I would say that well-educated and smart are one and the same. Education doesn't necessarily imply formal institutions. I just mean someone who is qualified to do the job. Most fans aren't.

Agreed. That's why something like this would never work.

i think you sell the audience short. many people in the stands have the background and experience.

Drumcorpsfan, and a few others; It seems to me that you are asking for corps to all shift their programming to more of a Cadets 2000 style. Where shows are happy, energetic, and they get people screaming with joy.

And what I, Matt, and a few others are trying to say is that why should all corps perform similar style shows? Why can't you have your Cadets 2000 or Scouts 95, and we have out Cavies 2002 or Vanguard 03?

Just for the record, I loved Vangaurd '03 and enjoyed Cavies '02 as well as Cadets '00.

Yes. I am aware that many people have many tastes. That was my whole point. Why should drum corps as a whole move toward one style over others?

exactly. have a blend, cause these days, it's moving solely one way and alienating a large generation of fans

How so? I can go to a show and see a loud in your face jazz show, an elegant classical show and even a original concept show all within about an hour. How is that moving towards one style? Looking at say, the past 5 years, can anyone really say that the Cadets and Cavaliers are moving towards similar styles? How about Blue Devils and The Glassmen? Same kinds of shows? How about Bluecoats and Crown? Hard to tell them apart? Be honest.