THANK YOU ROSE BOWL

The seating at the rose Bowl is fair at best

The incline of the rows is very little

For example say row 30 in Allentown gives you decent elevation

Whereas row 30 at the Rose Bowl you are not elevated enogh

Also one of the best college marching bands, if not the best is here on the East Coast

The University of Massachusettes Minutenman Marching Band

Alot of drum corp overlap with staff and members

Their newest CD is great

Has some classics on it like - Legend of the One Eyed Sailor. Malaguena, Get It On, Birdland, MacArthur Park, God Bless The USA, Tommy(sounds like the Blue Devils - maybe better though) and more.

And btheir drumline would fair well against any DCI line

They should with memers from the Cadets,Boston,etc

Pure entertainment

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really want a good time, every October is the east coast marching band festival in Allentown.

This past year there were something like 20 college bands. For fun, I "scored" each performance, and here's my top 3:

1. West Chester University

2. U of Deleware (UDell)

3. Massachusetts (UMass)

I did give UMass high drums...they were hot, just besting Udell. WCU's brass and overall show design topped the rest though.

Honestly, it's a fun a day as you'll have in October.

Aside from the poor audio on the part of ABC, both groups seemed to sound okay. But I have to say, both were absolutely boring in terms of visual. I'm never a fan of people bashing marching band, but I think both of these performances did very little service to marching bands everywhere. Symmetric drill with very little movement, sousaphones with bells pointing every which way...

What exactly do you expect from big-time college football halftime bands?

TIME OUT

Delaware

They are good

Anyone from Delaware would even disagree with you(that they are better then Umass)

They are still building a great college band program

Their director was a student of George Parks,the Umass Director

If 100 people saw Umass and Delaware 100 - except you of course-100 would see the difference

Umass and Delaware bands travel to each others games to perform

They have a good respect for each other

But truly...

I forgot to add...

I personally think the Rose Bowl facility will NOT be ranked in the

top 10 places to hold finals after 2007. Sure wish they would have

gone to San Diego.

And I wish I could afford a Maybach, but I can't!

PLEASE, get over this already! None of your continued whining is going to change anything!

Rocketman - a liitle tired of the whining

ampssuck

I loved last nights bands, USC is somthing i don't like but the texas band was great. Being a college band and most of you who know about being in a college band, i ain't about us, unlike high school band and drum corps, big time Div-1 A college band is about being, yes, trashed, and having a grand ole time wile blowing your brains out, pumping up the crownd and helping you team on to victory, from tailgateing to pre-game, all the way to after playing the alama mater, its all about the football team.

And that means stuff a lot of people who haven't played in a wile can play and move. heck pre game has i think 15 mins of music and 4 drill sets. This stuff is ment to be played in a tad altered state of mind. When people are drunk they want ot hear the hits and hear them loud, so the visual takes a big back seat to the music. People love it.

i was watching the WVU/UGA game the other day and the Georgia Bulldogs band plays this song like every 5 minutes. I dont know what it is but I like it. Any one out there with a clue?

as an ex-college band member, i must say that DCI enthusiasts who are looking to be entertained or even impressed by college bands are, for the most part, setting themselves up for disappointment. There are many college bands who play between 3 to 6 shows every season to accomodate the tastes of drunk football fans who are just looking for cool movement, formations, and exciting / familiar music. These are fans who have no concept of 'clean' or 'sound quality' or 'dynamics' because the main attraction believe it or not, is the football game. In my opinion, any band who realizes this and focuses on playing to their audience is doing an excellent job.

Edited by nguyenbr