Individuals Who Possess Showmanship

Hi all. Someone, in another post, brought up the subject of showmanship. In my opinion, it's one of the important aspects that all great shows have and to some degree, separate the "boys" from the "Big Boys" (not intended to diss the ladies). Ex. Cavies '04, Cadets during "Bugle Boy," SCV "04 closer.

Anyway, it made me think about individuals who seemed to possess a natural gift for showmanship. Individuals, that is, who stood out among the crowd on the field because of their charismatic performance. As mentioned, for me, Jessica Allen of the Blue Devils came immediately to mind. She just had a quality in her performance that was highly engaging and entertaining. She really knew how to "sell" her show!

What individual performers stand out in your mind as someone who had/has super showmanship qualities?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Schipper (Scouts soloist 95-96). Just watch the 1996 vignette on the DVD. He knows what attitude's all about. I think the BD drumline (not necessarily an individual, but whatever) knows how to get down (or at least look like they're getting down).

B) As much as we couldn't stand his guts because we were a competitor, you have to give props to long time Kiltie DM Scott Poulson. (I'm talking the sixties here folks) Few could or have matched him.

Honorable mention has to go to:

Captian Crunch DM South Milwaukee Mariners

The Guard Captian from St Patricks Imperials (we called her "Green Boots")

.... individuals who seemed to possess a natural gift for showmanship. Individuals, that is, who stood out among the crowd on the field because of their charismatic performance.

What individual performers stand out in your mind as someone who had/has super showmanship qualities?

After picking my own brain for examples of showmanship, it seems that most were ones that stood out because I witnessed them live and was actually able to feel the "showmanship" in person. A few that came to mind from "back in the day"...

-The baritone soloist at the beginning of Phantom Regiment's closer in 87. He projected such reverence and strength - a practically perfect fit for that moment.

-The professional ballet dancer from 87 Garfield. That was certainly one of the most obvious examples of individual showmanship on the field in finals that night.

-The "tribal leaders" at the beginning of the drum solo in 87 and 88 Velvet Knights. Total "all eyes are on you" moment and they really milked the moment.

-The baritone soloist (Clay Wacholz... I believe.) and the mellophone soloist from Madison's Malaguena in 1988. They both took an already awesome show and made it absolutely sparkle with showmanship.

-The entire colorguard from 88 Suncoast Sound. One of the finest examples of selling a show I've ever witnessed from the stands. Even if you didn't quite understand what was happening (for me, the first couple of times I saw it) they made you feel the intensity of what they were doing - and how seriously they took it as individuals.

-And pretty much all brass soloists from 88 Blue Devils. What more could anyone ask? I suppose the lessen there is confidence = showmanship.

Disclamer on these next ones: I admit I'm biased here...

-The first person who came to mind was Juliet Tandoc. The "Christine" soloist from SCV's closer in both 88 and 89. She is also the one holding the mask at the end of both shows. I can't think of SCV's Phantom of the Opera shows without being certain how much Juliet's emotion and showmanship reached out into the stands and connected with the audience at every show.

-The second thing I thought of was the entire colorguard from 87 Sky Ryders. Their showmanship really MADE that show soar, IMO. They were all completely in "character" every measure and every second of the show. To think of how successfully the emotion of the different elements of West Side Story came through in just 11 1/2 minutes... What an accomplishment!

-Also Dan Dilullo, the mellophone solist from 85 and 86 SCV's "Festive Overture" opener. Without leaping and dancing or "emoting" (as we used to call it) he portrayed the SCV style with laserbeam intensity. That certainly qualifies as showmanship IMO.

Guess that's enough for now...

Disclamer on these next ones: I admit I'm biased here...

-The first person who came to mind was Juliet Tandoc. The "Christine" soloist from SCV's closer in both 88 and 89.

She was pretty charismatic as just an ensemble perofrmer in '87, too. I can see why she landed the captain and Christine roles.

I would have LOVED to have seen Zingali as a 27th Drum Major...

Now *THAT* would have been showmanship!

I would have LOVED to have seen Zingali as a 27th Drum Major...

Now *THAT* would have been showmanship!

That was my Rookie Year! George was not a drum major/conductor. He was called a "Marching Major". Ike Iannessa introduced (3) characters (British, Scotish and Irish) during different portions of the show. He introduced this in 72 and brought it back in 73. Since Kevin Flynn "graduated" from Marching Major to Baritone, George was brought in to fill the Scotish role!

They gave him a kilt and a mace and he created his own character! Kinda funny thinking about an Italian kid from Revere playing a Scot! There is a famous pic that has circulated over the years. It shows George at (I think DCI Prelims in Whitewater) looking very serious and like an angry Scotsman who's about to stomp you with his mace. What makes the picture hilarious is when you scroll down,..... there's a young, goofy, typical Georgie!...with one sock up and one sock down!.... God,..are you ever missed our brother!

The only one funnier than that is the 78 Video of 27th. That's Marc Sylvester who is disco dancing while playing his mellophone solo in Celebrate!