Making up words to tunes your corps play.

As a horn player, I remember making up lyrics to the music we were playing, particularly if we were working in visual rehearsal or just plain horsin' around. Sometimes the words were funny, sometimes obscure, sometimes disgusting, and sometimes they made absolutely no sense.

I even remember certain parts of shows when I watch them on DVD too. For example, even though I didn't march the 1994 PR, there is a drum part that my friend would say "Gobble Gobble Gobble da Gobble Gobble Gobble" every time she saw it. Now, that is stuck in my head everytime I watch/hear it and I find myself saying "Gobble Gobble Gobble da Gobble Gobble Gobble" along with the music.

There are many more, so lets hear them.

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closer of Colts 05:

We actually had this whole story one of our techs created, where the baritones were this old uncle guy telling his kid about this theme/amusement park, and then the mellos chimed in with excitement about the park, then we had that building excitement when the corps flips backwards, mellos have this high thing: "we're gonna go and ride the rides we really wanna ride the rides we're gonna go and ride the rides." Then we get to the big hit, and we're like "We're here!!! To Ride the rides! And we're gonna ride them all day long, etc etc."

Yeah. It was amusing, anyway.

I do remember in '79 after working past our lunch break, in the middle of the opener the hornline sang;

"Lunch Break

Lunch Break

Lunch Break

WE WANT FOOD......NOW!!! (Big loud chords)

They won't give us food (Sops soli)

Guess we'll have to starve..."

That's all I remember.....it was so long ago, but funny at the time.

1994 Regiment Cadets - Battle Music from "Beauty and the Beast" - the music builds to a climactic "eighth, half note" thing - sounded like "BAT-MAN" from the 1960's TV series theme (You know; na-na na-na na-na na-na, BAT-MAN!) which is what we refered to it as, even to the point of singing "BAT - MAN!!!" duirng that part in visual rehearsals.

Within my group of horn playing friends, we made up goofy words to the drum solo too. I distinctly remember a part that, in our minds anyways, went "Ta-Co <rest><rest> TACO-SUPREME!"

Anyhow... now that I've outted myself as a total crack addict...

-TGB