Troopers T-Shirt on MTV Tonight

In the new American Pie: Band Camp movie you can see a guy wearing an old red Velvet Knights hat in a scene from one of the special features. (Chad McCormick, who marched VK, is credited with marching instruction for the movie, but the guy wearing the hat is not him).

Also, Wayne Downey is in the first scene of the movie and later appears toward the end. He plays a HS band director.

From what I understand, Riverside Community College's band did some work in that movie (probably extras and such) which is probably why Chad and Wayne Downey are in it... Chad was a DM there the season I marched and I think he still does conduct from time to time and tech the band. Wayne does the arrangements - and is a friend of the band director's. I don't doubt there are more than a few drum corps vets in that movie. It's a breeding ground for BD/Pacific Crest members... Heck... the guy I stood next to in the horn arc marched Freelancers the year I was born!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... just like kids are walking around in zeppland and AC/DC shirts not knowing they were bands. only knowing they saw one of their favorite celebs wearing a cool vintage shirt.

Around my parts, the kids wearing those shirts in my daughter's Jr High know darned well who AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are. Not only that, but they know how to spell the band names, too.

Now, I can't account for the taste of 12 year-olds outside of Indiana. I've got no influence there.

On the topic at hand, it seems like there are a few Ashley haters on DCP. Now I don't personally know Ashley from Adam. Other than having a girl's first name, I couldn't make any other jugdements ... yet.

Its a bit weird that I own the same shirt as a member of O-Town.
Kinda makes you want to take a 3hr shower doesn't it? :P

<packing up old vintage corps attire>

I have seen the movie, don't see it if it is for enjoyment.

My friends and I did not notice the VK hat, yet if you listen closely you can hear 99 BD during the band competition. No joke, it is in the end credits and everything.

Why Downey is there, look at the DVD he is the music arranger for the entire movie. RCC is all over the movie, just watch near the end of the end credits where all the music copyright info is...the stuff about BD and RCC is all there...quite funny.

Riverside Communicty College (RCC) played the part of the rival bands. RCC is instructed by some BD alumns.

Also, two of the rival bands were named Beechwood and Lloyd Memorial - two bands from Northern, KY. I went to Beechwood. Made sense that in the movie they were the top band. Art imitates life. :-)

I distinctly remember hearing BD's on field warmup in the background at one point in the movie too. I also could have sworn that the "rival band" looked a lot like BD when they stopped and put their horns down.

The Rival Band also played a wierd sounding version of Bostons Bolero. I was playing the parts verbatum, just in different keys and what not. But it was probablly the Blast version that boston kinda borrowed from that was used to make the wierd keyed Band Camp version. Wich Wayne now has his hands in some Blast stuff, so it wouldnt suprise me.

Around my parts, the kids wearing those shirts in my daughter's Jr High know darned well who AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd are. Not only that, but they know how to spell the band names, too.

Now, I can't account for the taste of 12 year-olds outside of Indiana. I've got no influence there.

On the topic at hand, it seems like there are a few Ashley haters on DCP. Now I don't personally know Ashley from Adam. Other than having a girl's first name, I couldn't make any other jugdements ... yet.

yea i see now i messed up the spelling on zep. i do that from time to time. but unfortunetly i have run into people that have on shirts like that. and when they are asked about it they go "oh i didn't know they were some old rock band, guess they were halfway decent if the shirts are still around." or my favorite. "oh they are a band. are they like (crappy new band here.)/oh they were a crappy old classic rock band?"