retreat?

Actually, even as a field linner, we often got up only slightly before the corps proper (most often we missed b-fast, but you have to make sacrafices). I understand cutting retreats at some shows, but fail to see why they couldn't still be a part of regionals at the very least. It is very gratifying to be on that field when the upset occurs, and it is very personal, esspecially if your next to the corps you just beat.

Also, retreat was a great chance to really find out what other groups were about on an individual basis. Heh, I have some great stories that I wouldn't if I were marching now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, thought it was cool to do the mixed arc thing sometimes. But I kind of missed the retreat blocks... :(

Another rule I didn't really like was the "no practicing after the last corps leaves the warm-up site" rule. Why? Because first of all, I like practicing during that time...and second of all...it didn't seem like some of the other corps were really following that rule anyway. <**>

This rule was strictly enofrced in the corps I marched in. In smaller shows, usually in small, residential, areas; members of some corps wouldn't just practice, they'd have loud 'jam sessions' after shows, which was usually well into the night, and caused public desturbances. <**>

i don't know why people are saying that we, as members, couldn't see other shows after us this season. unless i misunderstood people. i got to see other shows. not a lot, we usually were right in the middle, but i got to see some shows.

while i agree that as a member, my goal is to make my show perfect, i think that watching other shows can help my show be better. i think that you can get so caught up in what your corps does and what your staff says that you fail to realize that there are other ways to do things as well. now i'm not saying to do things a way other than what the staff says, but, i think watching a show can help you get different perspectives on what you are doing. also, sometimes you need a "drum corps" break from drum corps. watching shows helps me relax after a hard day/couple of days. i love to watch drum corps. almost as much as i like to perform in a drum corps. i don't think that you should "wait for the DVD to see other shows".

After a while, shows become more like show-and-tell, and I always had a lot of fun watching what other groups had come up with when I was in div 2/3. Overall, div 2/3 always had a much more friendly feel to it, and the focus shows rocked because there were just so many diverse groups performing. I'm not sure, but I hope groups that don't make finals at these shows aren't leaving early, because it was really cool to have the corps you were competing with cheering you on, and to be able to do the same on occassion.

However, when I moved to div 1, I no longer got to see hardly any shows, I honestly saw less than 10 full shows that summer, but that is an acceptable part of the sacrifice for going on late. I remmember complaining about playing so many victory concerts, because we never got to see friends from other corps or relax after shows...luckily my friend laughed and told me how stupid THAT sounded.

I, for one, loved full retreat when I was marching.

I can't remember what year, 88 or 89, but us (regiment) and scouts low brass sections had a Batman thing going seeing who could sneak the most Batman crap on the field for retreat.

Usualy consisted of stickers, action figures, that sort of crap. It came to a dramatic end when one of the Contras from Scouts had a dead bat (looked real anyway) in a ziploc bag.

Anyone else out there remember this?

I do miss some retreat shehanigans. Blooo's crowbar was hilarious. In 02 Spirit had some stuffed animal that sang a song whenever their score was announced. And of course there was all the goofy stuff people whould say as each row of the hornline was marching frontfield to set up. And I can't forget all the fun ripple-games;)

I don't miss a certain team throwning Jolly Ranchers at people, denting horns, and making lewd comments towards the female members of our guard.

Edited by G-Cym

Honestly, if you were in one of the top 8 corps, I don't think this ever helped. Because they often times were the ones who always ended up doing an encore. Some 12-16 place corps did it often, and the 16-24th place ones did it rarely, as in maybe 2-3 tiems. I think it'd be frustrating to do it so much when there were people at the show I wanted to see. Nothing against showmanship and stuff, I know thats WHY youa re there, but the social aspect between corps is being ripped apart.

I, for one, loved full retreat when I was marching.

I can't remember what year, 88 or 89, but us (regiment) and scouts low brass sections had a Batman thing going seeing who could sneak the most Batman crap on the field for retreat.

Usualy consisted of stickers, action figures, that sort of crap. It came to a dramatic end when one of the Contras from Scouts had a dead bat (looked real anyway) in a ziploc bag.

Anyone else out there remember this?

Off Topic, sorta but:

I can remember that too! I think it was the red-headed contra player thay called "Spaz". I seem to recall the Scouts passing us something funny like that once - even if it wasn't the bat. My first thought was that it was probably 88, because I actually think he might have passed it over to the Sky Ryder contra section and then we passed it down the row - and then back again. "snicker, snicker, snicker..." But he may have just had us come over and look at it. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it in a plastic bag too. (Bats are smaller than you think... actually. Like a little mouse with wings.)

However, the original Batman movie didn't come out till 89, so I'm not really sure what year that was... I remember a bunch of guys in 89 SCV had Batman shirts they all wore during rehearsal... Some details are clearer than others after.... ahem...mumble years... :laugh:

On Topic comment regarding this:

Regardless of what corps I was in or what year it happened, we came away from retreat thinking something like "Gee! The Scouts are even cooler and funnier than we already thought." It brought us closer to another corps and provided memories (albiet murky ones at this point) of bonding with another corps that were only possible during retreat.

I'm glad DCI had not decided that retreat was unnecessary during that time in my life. There are countless "intangibles" that are part of the drum corps experience. The priceless experiences provided by mass retreats are something I hope DCI will always remember.

Edited by bradrick

:sos: Anyone started a petition on this yet???

like they'd care if we did.