Blue Devils 1989 finals recording

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but wasn't that Barry Hudson, current brass caption head at Crown??

Yes, it was.

Summertime... beautiful solo. But cracks one note. Oh well... :bleah:

Minor fracks happen to the best of us....it was the severity of teh BD crack combined with the fact that it WAS a BD player that makes it stand out so much.

Re Hudson...I forget which chart in the show it is....but he held the last soft note for a LOOOOOOONG time....probably close to 15 second or longer (I'd have to time it)....didn't look like he was circular breathing....just had great lung capacity and stamina!

He he still married to Becky Wood...the DM from that year? I rememebr DCWorld did an article on it. Barry played her down the aisle by himself (forget the piece he played)

Yes, it was.

Yes, it was Barry Hudson that played the "Summertime" solo, beautifully I might add, along with a solo in "Bess You Is My Woman Now". He isn't the caption head for Crown though, he was on brass staff with them in '04 and '05. Matt Harloff is the current Caption Head for Crown and has been since '03.

Barry has an incredible lung capacity, he held that note in '88 until it looked like his head was going to explode!!! He was purple in the face at the end of that note!

He and Becky are no longer married. They are both wonderful people and did so much for Star!

Becky went on to become a principal in Indiana. She also went to Indonesia to help with Tsunami relief! Barry is a band director in Mass. He's probably destroying someone in a Hockey ring about now!

I heard that the entire corps ganged up on him afterwards. It must have been horrible... :(

For the record:

I saw Danny (getting the name only from this topic) hanging out at the busses after finals in KC.

Not shunned or beat up. Just looked kind of bummed to me.

I didn't march '89, but saw that show several times, and he was always nails.

Just a bad night, on a bad night to have a bad night.

Becky went on to become a principal in Indiana. She also went to Indonesia to help with Tsunami relief!

Barry is a band director in Mass. He's probably destroying someone in a Hockey ring about now!

I just wanted to mention that these two sentences together made me laugh out loud, at 2:40 in the morning. :P

Yes, it was Barry Hudson that played the "Summertime" solo, beautifully I might add, along with a solo in "Bess You Is My Woman Now". He isn't the caption head for Crown though, he was on brass staff with them in '04 and '05. Matt Harloff is the current Caption Head for Crown and has been since '03.

Barry has an incredible lung capacity, he held that note in '88 until it looked like his head was going to explode!!! He was purple in the face at the end of that note!

He and Becky are no longer married. They are both wonderful people and did so much for Star!

Becky went on to become a principal in Indiana. She also went to Indonesia to help with Tsunami relief! Barry is a band director in Mass. He's probably destroying someone in a Hockey ring about now!

I just need to ask... was it the Indiana sun that made the corps members faces look so dark, because it looks like you guys used something on your face to make you look darker.

I just need to ask... was it the Indiana sun that made the corps members faces look so dark, because it looks like you guys used something on your face to make you look darker.

Heh, it was probably the contrast with the blond hair. :)

(I highly doubt it, by the way.)

Uhhh.... It's Drum Corps dude..... EVERYBODY gets dark and tan by the time finals rolls around!

Edited by Fudge