Blue Devils 1989 finals recording

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a search on here for "DCI Season Pass" - back when the first reviews came out in June (or May, whenever it was), there's a discussion about how the BD show was spliced together for their download mp3.

(It's something to the effect of just the ballad was imported from semis into the finals recording on that one. For the CD releases without the frack, it was the full semis recording, if I recall correctly, though my Collectors Series CD had the full Finals recording.)

Mike

the original releases in 89 on tape were semis. however when the legacy collection came out, it was switched to finals

I just need to ask... was it the Indiana sun that made the corps members faces look so dark, because it looks like you guys used something on your face to make you look darker.

It probably had something to do with the fact that there was a nationwide drought in 88 - hottest summer I marched between 78 and 88. I remember several retreats being drum major only that summer because it was too hot to have the members on the field standing (even that late at night) at parade rest for fear of members passing out. I know I had a wicked dark tan that year.

Uhhh.... It's Drum Corps dude..... EVERYBODY gets dark and tan by the time finals rolls around!

Man, there is no way to be that uptight.

I was only asking because it looked almost like you were honoring the production "Porgy and Bess" by using something.

I realize that it is DRUM CORPS, but I don't usually see people of that tone of skin color in drum corps.

• 10 months later...

Wow..I have the DVD with the frack, I would've loved to hear him nail it. My friend told me when we were watching it together that he had been nailing it all season. It seems for some reason he just ran out of air and then probably got stage fright. Cause he didn't get the solo after that either. UP to that point he was awesome. Poor guy. :(

That was one of my favorite BD shows too.

That wasn't his age out year was it?

This topic is being revisted again...I thought I'd bring it back up.

1989 was a dang good year for drum corps IMO.

Hey Mike sounds like a "Fanfare" idea to me....:P

Edited by Lancerlady

That was an interesting night to say the least! I marched that year, in the pit. Dan and Timmy were about 8 feet away from me over my right shoulder...so I had a "front row seat" per se!

No, the corps didn't beat Dan down in the parking lot. It was a fairly somber finals night other than the usual blowing off of steam at the end of a long season. Dan pretty much kept to himself the remainder of the night (he rode the bus back to Concord as well) and to my knowledge no one said anything negative to him...he knew, we knew, nothing needed to be said.

What's funny (well...funny now, not funny then!), is the response heard from the corps on the field. The were many curse words flying from hornline/drumline members, which quickly turned to encouraging words (I.E. come on now push, push, push and keep it up, etc.). Our conductor waited a little longer than usual to start the drum solo and was mouthing "it's OK" during the pause. You could "feel" everyone trying to really push forward, but needless to say, it was difficult at best...the energy really never returned (up until that point, the energy coming off the field was amazing...we were having a REALLY good run).

Timmy's "response" solo changed throughout the summer MANY times, and even changed a few times finals week. The best I can remember, the final change happened finals DAY, but of course he didn't play it...he went back to an earlier version and took it down an octave.

Dan actually did miss that note at one show earlier in the summer, but that time he replayed the pick up notes going into the high note and hit it the second time. It actually sounded like it was supposed to be that way. I don't ever remember him taking it up during rehearsals...always down an octave. Another little bit of info...Dan's parents almost pulled him from the corps mid summer...I think it was some money issues or something. Rumors were flying, so Dan got up in front of the corps to tell them what was going on. We were relieved to hear he would be able to say on for the entire season.

Good year...I think one of the last "Old School" BD shows...I miss those shows.

Another little bit of info...Dan's parents almost pulled him from the corps mid summer...I think it was some money issues or something. Rumors were flying, so Dan got up in front of the corps to tell them what was going on. We were relieved to hear he would be able to say on for the entire season.

That's interesting that you mention this because I had heard after finals that family issues was the reason he fracked. I guess it was rumor mill still engaged from mid-summer.