Hornline warmup Videos, YES!

By far the weirdest example of Mojo (there, I said it) to me is in SCV 01 during (I think) Short Ride... They're bumping and grinding all over the place but they're playing at a relaxed forte or so. I don't know, doing that just for the visual effect has always seemed kind of pointless to me. Likewise, I hate when bands/corps have it choreographed so that each person is supposed to do it on a certain beat or something. It just looks silly and fake.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could've seen this live. It has to be one of the best video clips I've seen so far b**bs -but that doesn't say much, this being my first year to have ever known anything about drum corps I've really not seen much. :(

I think it's more of a psycological thing than anything...if you bend you actually may bend the airway and actually restrict airflow.

Well, I think I'll use something that I apply into my everyday playing to explain this. Oh, and this will take some participation on your part, readers. First, I want you guys and gals to make a medium-sized round hole with your thumb and pointer finger. Either hand works. Now, put this hole up to your mouth and blow as hard as possible. Now, close that hole so it is very small and do the same thing. Very little air comes out, but the air that is coming out is going much faster than with the larger hole. The moral of the story is that, contrary to popular belief, one does not need great amounts of air to hit high notes. One must simply make the hole at which the air is coming out smaller without greatly sacrificing the amount of lip that is buzzing. So, while it is an inefficient way of achieving this, mojo does help to control airflow without sacrificing the way the chops work. If you want any greater clarification, feel free to ask.

I wish I could've seen this live. It has to be one of the best video clips I've seen so far b**bs -but that doesn't say much, this being my first year to have ever known anything about drum corps I've really not seen much. :(

Your wish may just come true. BLAST is once again touring, so check out the website to see where the tour dates are, and if there are any near you!

Call it what you want, but I have always been one to get into it in the line. Sometimes the tunes just get you going. Wait 'till you see Bridgemen this year, I am guessing that more than a few of us will be "undulating".

I agree that if it is choreographed, it's lame. But just watch the end of La Fiesta (BD '84) from the sop trio on out. There is an AWESOME field level shot of the horns marching in behind the trio, and when they "park and bark" there's not a one standing up straight.

And it did nothing to harm their sound....

as for the "Mars"esque pattern the tubas are playing, my best guess would be that they're using it as a drone which helps tuning while you're playing. my trumpet section for band does this in our sectionals. everyone will play a note, then one person will play a 5th above that note. then one more person will play 5-6 notes for tuning purposes and to see how what they're playing fits with whatever else is going on at the time. it's all relative I guess.

and yeah, I don't like it when corps do it in shows when it's choreographed, especially if they're playing less than forte, seems silly to me as an audience member.

space music is meant to be random space motifs, whether its close encounters of the 3rd kind or mars, it has nothing to do with it being a cavaliers piece or not