The Greatest Drum Corps Shows of All Time

So SCV 89 holds its own against its chief rivals SCV 88 and PR 89.......

~G~

actually SCV 89 didn't hold up. SCV 89 recieved 20 votes and one anti vote for a total of 104

PR 89 recieved 22 votes for a total of 118

I gave both corps (or one or the other) 5 in un-numbered lists and one guy listed his from 10-1 in reverse so might have gotten missed.

Sorry. its the math major in me

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or because it was so boring. Horns played the same thing over and over.

That's a fairly gross (as in size) exaggeration. I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't hearing the same thing over and over.

That's a fairly gross (as in size) exaggeration. I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't hearing the same thing over and over.

Don't even worry about comments like that. Anyone with reasonable intellect can see that it's an absurd generalization. The line between thoughtful criticism and needless potshots is pretty easy to see around here.

Don't even worry about comments like that. Anyone with reasonable intellect can see that it's an absurd generalization. The line between thoughtful criticism and needless potshots is pretty easy to see around here.

While I certainly wasn't hearing the same things over and over, I think there was more restatement of thematic melodies than most other drum corps shows (save maybe Phantom 05... but don't get me started there) and it certainly isn't the most exciting horn book of all-time... fairly boring to me, but it has definitely grown on me. The first 25 times or so (that's an exaggeration) I watched I hated it. About 6 months-a year ago I finally came to accept as a decent show, and while I still don't enjoy it, I can appreciate it for the design masterpiece that it is.

It's still boring though. ^0^

Edited by TTitans909

1993 Cadets

1991 Star

1989 Phantom

1997 Blue Devils

1996 Blue Devils

1987 Cadets

2002 Bluecoats

1995 Madison Scouts

2000 SCV

1996 Phantom

What I find interesting (and disheartening) about the top 100 show list is that one third of these 20 different corps have folded. Beyond the obvious contraction of the activity in the DCI years, the failure of many of the best corps in the activity for which DCI was created to promote should have the people in power in DCI taking a serious look at the structure of the organization. Granted, DCI may have been powerless to alter some of these foldings particularly in the years of their own financial insolvency, but now that the financial situation has become more stable I think that a priority of the DCI board members has to be in channeling financial resources in a manner which will relieve the financial burdens of its current members and creating an environment that will make new start ups more feasible.

Without a "ten year" plan with these goals in place, I see only further reduction in the competing ranks in the future for division I leaving only a few grand touring exhibition corps and a lot of beautiful memories of a grand legacy. Fire away!

Edited by Geneva

What I find interesting (and disheartening) about the top 100 show list is that one third of these 20 different corps have folded. Beyond the obvious contraction of the activity in the DCI years, the failure of many of the best corps in the activity for which DCI was created to promote should have the people in power in DCI taking a serious look at the structure of the organization. Granted, DCI may have been powerless to alter some of these foldings particularly in the years of their own financial insolvency, but now that the financial situation has become more stable I think that a priority of the DCI board members has to be in channeling financial resources in a manner which will relieve the financial burdens of its current members and creating an environment that will make new start ups more feasible.

Without a "ten year" plan with these goals in place, I see only further reduction in the competing ranks in the future for division I leaving only a few grand touring exhibition corps and a lot of beautiful memories of a grand legacy. Fire away!

Hmm...some nice thoughts, but I have to draw a couple issues:

So, as we are all aware, Phantom has a large debt that is haunting them right now. Is it really DCI's responsibility to bail them out? And if they were to do so, what about the other corps who have managed their finances better than Phantom? Doesn't that create an attitude that says it is okay to poorly manage money, since big-brother DCI will be there to bail you out? And won't that just lead to the eventual demise of many corps, and perhaps DCI itself? DCI has set up a "fair" system to distribute funds to the corps.

Secondly, recent trends in Division 1 indicate the class is growing. In 2006, we are looking at 24 (?) division 1 corps. In the mid and late 90's, there were less than 20. And, if the trend continues, there are several Div. 2 corps that may be ready to take the leap to Div. 1 in the next several seasons. We could possibly see a Division 1 class of close to 30 corps by 2010 (that is my prediction). I think the issue is not Division 1, but how to support the creation of new Div. 2 & 3 corps, and work on expanding those classes...

M