The Greatest Drum Corps Shows of All Time

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is impossible for me to rank my top 10 shows, but while reading through this thread, something occured to me.

The vast majority of the shows listed here are shows that have won DCI Championships. To me, it is the shows that we see on here in just about every post (ie. Scouts 95) that have NOT won championships that really stand out to me as some of the greatest shows of all time. The way I see it, any show that has won automatically becomes one of the greates 33 shows of all time.

It is these others shows, ones that did not win, that are listed that have connected with the audience on the same level even though the execution may not have been at the same level. To me, the design and performance aspects of the show overcame the execution ones in these shows and make them something to enjoy immensely! PS - I'm not trying to say that these other shows were dirty! :P

I hope that makes sense...anyone agree?

It really is impossible for me to rank my top 10 shows, but while reading through this thread, something occured to me.

The vast majority of the shows listed here are shows that have won DCI Championships. To me, it is the shows that we see on here in just about every post (ie. Scouts 95) that have NOT won championships that really stand out to me as some of the greatest shows of all time. The way I see it, any show that has won automatically becomes one of the greates 33 shows of all time.

It is these others shows, ones that did not win, that are listed that have connected with the audience on the same level even though the execution may not have been at the same level. To me, the design and performance aspects of the show overcame the execution ones in these shows and make them something to enjoy immensely! PS - I'm not trying to say that these other shows were dirty! :P

I hope that makes sense...anyone agree?

Actually it doesn't make sense. First, only 3 of the ten I voted for were winners, but that aside.

If you take a year like 89 when the top 5 were all spectacular shows, I would take thos 5 over anything I saw in 1990. (personal pref of course)

Also, while the 70s shows are great fun to watch and the execution is great, they don't, and can't be, compared to the modern shows.

Right, but if you asked the drum corps general public (I.e, people not always on DCP posting frequently) about SCV doing Phantom of the Opera, I think most people would tell you they did it in 89. Just look at which show got the most votes on the classic countdown.

Also, 89 was the year that SCV broke their bridesmaid's curse of four years.

I do understand your point, though. I'm still partial to 89.

I understand what you are saying, but the post was referring to historically significant shows and there was nothing historically significant about 89 scv.

It would have been more historically significant if they had finished 2nd a fifth year in a row.

The reason people voted for it and remember it is because it won, not because it was significant.