Best Ballads Ever

oh and Cavies 90 (All things bright and beautiful), and 95 (jupiter), 98 (Dance Movements), and their ballads in 99, 02

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrelevant to your post, but more so who you are - Magic '94's ballad was a great production, and fit the show extremely well. Very memorable, for obvious reasons.

Thanks! I did enjoy that ballad (the whole show, actually!)

I didn't want to come across as a "homer", though!!! :P

Thanks! I did enjoy that ballad (the whole show, actually!)

I didn't want to come across as a "homer", though!!! :P

Well if you're going to mention the whole show, I might as well say that I loved the whole thing as well, and that it's my favorite Magic show of all time. The first time I saw it, 2 or so years ago, I just watched the whole thing completely in awe. What a mello line, too! Glad I could follow in your footsteps, albeit a decade later (don't mean to call you old, haha).

Blue Devils '91 is such a beautifully performed production, and it's very much underappreciated.

BD '92, the little backfield section. Absolutely GORGEOUS chords, and the duet was chilling as well.

Same with '93. The two little mini-ballads (I guess they were just in there to contrast the rest of the show, because they weren't full productions) fit the show perfectly, were performed to an impeccable level (those hornlines + backfield = :music: ) Brian, I think it was you who mentioned the bari and trumpet duet from '93? Absolutely.

Magic '98, if not only for one of the best mello solos of all time.

Glassmen '99. And also '98, for.....see above reasoning. Great job, Joe (posts on here occasionally).

BK '02, just for the reason that it was so strikingly different from almost any other ballad I've heard. Shostakovich's Concerto for Piano, Trumpet, and Strings (Lento mvmt)...great representation of an amazing piece.

Colts '98 fit the show perfectly. Very reflective production, great (female) trumpet soloist.

Colts '99 was as optimistic of a ballad as anyone could ask for. I like when the trumpet soloist smiles when the other soloist hits his high note.

Crossmen 1991 'Dream of the Return'

Phantom Regiment 1993 'Fire of Eternal Glory'

Santa Clara Vanguard 2000 'Adagio for Strings'

Edited by Chris_Sop_Beatrix

'93 Regiment.

Doesn't get any better than that!

:music:

w/Stp: :music::music::music: Fire of Eternal Glory :music::music::worthy:

My favorite: the Jupiter chorale, Cavaliers 1995. Turning frontfield for a majestic restatement of the melody? Um, yes.

And anytime Bluecoats plays Autumn Leaves. 87 is especially awesome.

YES!!! That one just hast me in tears :) also not really a ballad but Music of the Night (SCV 1989 closer) is also just gorgeous.

Colts '99 was as optimistic of a ballad as anyone could ask for. I like when the trumpet soloist smiles when the other soloist hits his high note.

I, too, enjoy this ballad. I laugh everytime I see that trumpet soloist smile. As much as I like being hardcore... I think that's cool because it shows how much we enjoy it...kind of...know what I mean?

Crossmen 1991 'Dream of the Return'

:music: I love it.

My personal VERY favorites:

Cadets 1999

Phantom 2003

Phantom 1994

Crossmen 1992

My favorites:

Cadets 1993 (I like how they weaved "It Is Well" into their small ensemble...)

Cavies 1994 (Mellophone duet :music: written very well..performance could have been a little better.)

Blue Knights 1994 (Again, mello solo....great! Overall nice production.)

Crossmen 1993

Spirit 2005

Bluecoats 2003 (Is it even considered a ballad? Not really emotional, just kind of neat.)

Honorable Mention:

Crown 2005 (It didn't really entertain me too much, but I liked the mello parts...and I can't stop singing them in my head.)

There are so many great ballads! You can see I'm especially partial to the ones with nice mello solos. Some of the more recent ones haven't really caught my fancy. I must also, for clarity, include that I haven't seen many 70s/80s shows. So I'm probably really missing out. :(

I, too, enjoy this ballad. I laugh everytime I see that trumpet soloist smile. As much as I like being hardcore... I think that's cool because it shows how much we enjoy it...kind of...know what I mean?

:music: I love it.

My personal VERY favorites:

Cadets 1999

Phantom 2003

Phantom 1994

Crossmen 1992

My favorites:

Cadets 1993 (I like how they weaved "It Is Well" into their small ensemble...)

Cavies 1994 (Mellophone duet :worthy: written very well..performance could have been a little better.)

Blue Knights 1994 (Again, mello solo....great! Overall nice production.)

Crossmen 1993

Spirit 2005

Bluecoats 2003 (Is it even considered a ballad? Not really emotional, just kind of neat.)

Honorable Mention:

Crown 2005 (It didn't really entertain me too much, but I liked the mello parts...and I can't stop singing them in my head.)

There are so many great ballads! You can see I'm especially partial to the ones with nice mello solos. Some of the more recent ones haven't really caught my fancy. I must also, for clarity, include that I haven't seen many 70s/80s shows. So I'm probably really missing out. :(

2000 Cadets had a nice little mello solo

I just saw the Colts video looks like they are doing Windsprints this year by Richard L. Saucedo :music: