Least favorite ballad ever?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic '99

Actually, Lullabye for Nancy Carol was my favorite part of the show. Just a gorgeous melody. What didn't you like about it?

Actually, Lullabye for Nancy Carol was my favorite part of the show. Just a gorgeous melody. What didn't you like about it?

I actually didn't like the melody, or the fact that it wasn't memorable at all to me. I'm surprised to hear that....I LOVED the entire production of Echano. Really liked the introduction to the show, trumpet duet, and the faster section in the second half of the piece as well. Land of Make Believe was alright, but I'm not a big fan of that song in general; the presentation of it was fine though, I liked it more than most arrangement's I've heard. One of my main philosophies about great ballad, is that it has to strike me within the first few times of listening to it, or at least be somewhat memorable. Next time I listen to the show (I have it on my computer, so I'll listen some time today), I'll take another listen to the ballad.

I can agree that arrangement of Lullabye for Nancy Carol is one that grows on you over time. It is not that easy to follow the line in that piece as it constantly being traded between voices. It was a rather difficult piece play well with all the ebb and flow and constantly changing voicings, but in the end that is what made it for me.

To me it is more memorable for the feelings and impressions it leaves you with. But then I again I am rather biased about that show. B)

One of my main philosophies about great ballad, is that it has to strike me within the first few times of listening to it, or at least be somewhat memorable.

I kind of disagree. One of my favorite ballads is BD 96, and I didn't really think anything of it until probably the 5-6th time that I listened to it. Now I can't stop listening to it.

...And if you listen to the 4 "original" ballads by Saucedo, Kuhn & Johnson from the last 5 years, you will notice that they all sound very similar. Even the ballad from Niagara Falls which was original by an outside composer had Saucedo written all over it. After 2000 and 2001, I found some of the progressions in Frameworks to be quite predictable. Original? Debatable. Fresh and new? Definitely not.

. . . I never really got that. I thought the 01, 02, and 03 ballads were all pretty distinctive . . . 01 and 03 especially had definitive melodies that were nothing alike, 02 was more of a collection of chords to stress the harmony theme. In any case, I enjoy them and find that they work very well inside and outside the context of the shows.

Haha, I haven't liked any drum corps show the first time I heard or saw it, for that matter.

I know what you're getting at, that shows grow on you the more you listen to them, but there's definitely shows I've liked the moment I saw them. Boston '00, BK '03, Bluecoats '05 are a couple that stand out. As far as ballads go, Crossmen '04 certainly fits the bill.

I kind of disagree. One of my favorite ballads is BD 96, and I didn't really think anything of it until probably the 5-6th time that I listened to it. Now I can't stop listening to it.

Yeah, after I posted it, I re-thought in my head whether I actually do feel that way. Probably not....but it's USUALLY the case though; more so at least with ballads than with full shows.

Don't like ANY shows the first time hearing or seeing it? Um....a bit over the top there, surely.