Should DCI change the activitiys name from "Drum and Bugle Corps

Oh okay, I get it. I'm trying to go the wrong way on a one way street again.

Thanks for letting me know. :ph34r:

the message is clear. it's the wording you use in the delivery that got you that response.

so, does this mean you wouldn't be offended if we called your opinion whining?

of course you would.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must........not.........post...........my........opinion.........here...........

In all honesty, Drum and Bugle Corps WAS the name of this particular activity for a large part of the 20th century.

Somewhere in the late 70s/early 80's, something happened to the activity, and it became less drum and bugle corps and more of a show/dance/band thing.

Which may or may not be bad, but for the life of me I don't see much resemblance today to what drum corps used to be - which again, may not be bad, but instead is just the way it is - more dancing, more "other" stuff and less marching/maneuvering, but kudos to drum corps youth today - there's no way I could do what they do now!

They used to call marching bands "field bands"; still do some places. No one is clamouring to rename marching bands to field bands, even though they more accurately are a field band.

I've seen marching bands called 'marching units' too...seems especially popular in colleges and for the USSBA bands in PA.

However, celling them that results in this...we heard it last season and our kids cracked up....as did the staff

Announcer: "Drum major so-and-so, is your unit ready?"

A bunch of the guys in our band (this was while sitting in the stands) looked down at their crotches and said "You bet!"

b**bs

How about dancing brass show bands? After all, thats exactly what they have become.

You mean the Bridgemen?? Seriously, the adjectives you just used describe the Bridgemen in their heydey perfectly. They danced (including the hornline), they were brassy, and they put on a heck of a show! And as we've seen before, a band is a corps is a unit is a group. That part of the equation is all semantics anyway.

the message is clear. it's the wording you use in the delivery that got you that response.

so, does this mean you wouldn't be offended if we called your opinion whining?

of course you would.

I also keep forgetting how well you think you know me..

If you want to call my opinion whining (and back it up), go ahead... but I don't whine. I don't start topics specifically to lament how something isn't the way I want it to be.. I don't complain about how it's "not what it should be" or "not what it was." In fact, I rarely complain at all except when it comes to people who would prefer to come onto the junior boards and post a thread specifically intended to lead a conversation into bashing what junior corps is right now.

I have never changed my delivery. What I say is exactly what I feel. Do call it what you like -- it's your opinion about my comments -- but if you want to call what I do whining, you'll need to back it up with definition (as I have) or I'll call you on it.

And it's still drum corps. Sorry you don't like it but it is STILL drum corps.. just the same as 1960s drum corps was "not drum corps" to 1950s alums.. and just the same as 1970s drum corps was "not drum corps" to 1960s alums.. and so on down the line..

Still. Drum. Corps.

Stef

I really have to take exception to the use of the word whine. Why does a opposing opinion have to be called a whine. The use of this kind of word chills debate(which I somehow think is purposeful) and demonizes ones opinion.

I don't like the level of emphasis on dance in the colorguard. Does that make me a whiner when I state my opinion? Even if I do it 5 times? Where is the respect of anothers opinion? Isn't that what we are supposed to be doing on DCP?

It would be really nice to be able to state your opinion(even if folks don't like it) without be labelled a whiner or a Dinosaur.

Always enjoy talking to someone when their opinion is the total opposite of mine. Of course the trick is to understand differing opinions are OK and respect the other persons opinion.

In my case I don't like the use of dance either and think it distracts from watching the other members march. If the person next to me would say "Man guard work in your day was boring all they did was march around like the rest of the corps", IMO that could be the start of a great discussion.

Let's face it folks, change over the years is one of the biggest talking points about DC. If someone says "I don't like this change because...." is less a whine/insult than a chance for discussion.

I also keep forgetting how well you think you know me..

If you want to call my opinion whining (and back it up), go ahead... but I don't whine. I don't start topics specifically to lament how something isn't the way I want it to be.. I don't complain about how it's "not what it should be" or "not what it was." In fact, I rarely complain at all except when it comes to people who would prefer to come onto the junior boards and post a thread specifically intended to lead a conversation into bashing what junior corps is right now.

Really Stef, you characterize someones opinion as whining, even when done with a smile, what do you expect from them?

Just to provide some perspective about what drum and bugle corps was about in it's original form back in the 1920's might be interesting.

Corps played valveless bugles in the soprano voice using only one hand. Color guard was simply what is know as an honor guard today. Rifles were actually real weapons, usually a 1903 Springfields. Scotch tenor and bass drums were the rage and street beats were played between the bugle marches. Fifes were legal instruments and played by about 20% of the corps. The veteran's groups had their prelims, not on the field, but as part of a parade with judges on the street picking corps for finals.

Just to provide some perspective about what drum and bugle corps was about in it's original form back in the 1920's might be interesting.

Corps played valveless bugles in the soprano voice using only one hand. Color guard was simply what is know as an honor guard today. Rifles were actually real weapons, usually a 1903 Springfields. Scotch tenor and bass drums were the rage and street beats were played between the bugle marches. Fifes were legal instruments and played by about 20% of the corps. The veteran's groups had their prelims, not on the field, but as part of a parade with judges on the street picking corps for finals.

And what was a big corps back then Jeff, 32-48 members???

PS - History of Drum Corps has a picture of a 1930s corps carrying megaphones during a parade. Appears singing during parades was not unheard of either.