Sound Board and Front Boundary Rules Pass

Sound Board and Front Boundary Rules Pass

"The 2006 DCI rules proposals regarding the location of the sound board (and who operates it) and extending the boundary of the front sideline to 15 feet (originally proposed as 12 feet) were both unanimously approved by the DCI board of directors tonight in Pasadena.

The proposed rule that would change the sheet that judges use to adjudicate color guard performances was withdrawn last night during the instructor’s summit and was never voted on by the board.

In other board of directors news, John Phillips was ratified as chief judge administrator for 2006, and George Oliviero and Gary Markham were ratified as educational directors for DCI for 2006."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable...I guess they'll have to learn the hard way. <**>

So staff is now gonna be able to be involved in this process? Wow.....

Edited by Lancerlady

STRICTLY against the rules here in southern California marching band--STUDENTS ONLY. Oh well...the arguments are going to be that it's akin to coaching on the sidelines while a corps is performing. <<sigh>> Exactly why it's against the rules for staff or parents to be in anyway involved in the performance of a band show WHILE A BAND IS PERFORMING in southern Cal (SCSBOA). It's the STUDENTS being judged--and if they want to do electronics, then they should be managed by the students who have been instructed how to do it.

Wow, that is ridiculous. I'm curious to know how these rule changes were explained and what was said at the meeting for the directors to vote unanimously for it. So if the balance is bad with a corps, is it judged or blamed on the mixing of a staff member. Did the directors really see the precedent of staff involvement that they are setting now? George Hopkins on the DCI rules video even said that some directors don't even fully understand the ramifications of these proposals that they are deciding on.

I'm truly stunned that this was seen as being in the best interest of the activity.

Edited by ScottPREuph

:blink:

Wow...how sad that it's come to this. I'm speechless.

Yeah, I tend to agree with what has already been posted. BUT, I am open to hearing what was said and used for the justification of this rule, before making any real decisions or forming any opinions about this... I mean, if it passed unanimously, there's GOT to be a good reason as to WHY.

Anyone know what was said?

Okay front boundaries is okay... But wow... unanimous approval of the sound board...

Edited by TommySopranoContra

<**>

i cant believe it

STRICTLY against the rules here in southern California marching band--STUDENTS ONLY. Oh well...the arguments are going to be that it's akin to coaching on the sidelines while a corps is performing. <<sigh>> Exactly why it's against the rules for staff or parents to be in anyway involved in the performance of a band show WHILE A BAND IS PERFORMING in southern Cal (SCSBOA). It's the STUDENTS being judged--and if they want to do electronics, then they should be managed by the students who have been instructed how to do it.

Ryan, you stole my response. I say, if you want to HAVE a sound person on the sideline (that is...if we MUST ***sigh***have amplification), then put a kid within the age limit of DCI regulations in uniform on the front sidelines who is knowledgable in sound (or train him or her) and make the "sound man/woman" a part of the corps. That is again, if we MUST!

Edited by torn8o

Did the Glassmen send anyone? Was looking, and don't think I've seen their name mentioned.