Indianapolis Bids for DCI

I am sitting at a Starbucks in Indianapolis as I write this. It's partly sunny. There's nice kids behind the counter, and there's a palpable feeling in the air that something, anything other than the Colts on that field would be a good thing. So I'm for it.

PhilSCV

... Family in Indianapolis

... House in Portland

... Heart in Santa Clara

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does happen, and I don't know if it will or not, it will likely be a positive for DCI.

Sure, DCI will not be able to hold finals in different locations like Madison, Denver, or Buffalo for a while, but we don't know exactly know all the fine print of this deal should it go through.

However, consider free office space for DCI, and perhaps better and more office space. Consider the cost of living being a little less than in Chicago. Consider that their relationship with BOA becomes easier to work with. And I realize many of you are afraid of such relationships, but remember that most of those who march corps today come from bands programs (high school or college). Finally, Indianapolis is an easy city to get in and out of, there are plenty of schools for housing, plenty of hotels, downtown is beautiful, and parking should be quite easy. And the new stadium is going to be a gem.

If this goes through I can see DCI holding Midwest finals in Madison and Whitewater, and occasionally in Bloomington, IN, while continuing to use Allentown, PA for DCI East.

All in all, I am glad to see DCI looking for good, sound business deals, and not just looking to retain tradition and the normal way of doing things, especially when they are not the best financial investments.

Of course, I used to think that if they ever moved their corporate offices out of Chicago, that they would move them to Madison, WI. But Indianapolis is much larger and perhaps can offer more incentives.

Jonathan

Was the Indy bid solicited or unsolicited?

If having finals at one site for 10 years is seriously being considered, why doesn't DCI make an open invitation to ANY city that wants to host the event for 10 years. That way, DCI can review the pros and cons of many locations (who knows, maybe some new, good ideas will actually arise out of 10 cities sending in proposals!).

I know this is an awfully pragmatic solution, but why not? Set up a small committee to review the proposals, set some guidelines and criteria, and whittle the list down to a manageable few. Having 3 or 4 cities interested raises the competitive stakes, and who knows, maybe Indy gets selected, but it becomes a sweeter deal.

E-Daddy,

The way that I understand this, it was Indianapolis that went to DCI in an effort to secure partnerships and strengthen a long-term schedule for the new stadium.

Was the Indy bid solicited or unsolicited?

If having finals at one site for 10 years is seriously being considered, why doesn't DCI make an open invitation to ANY city that wants to host the event for 10 years. That way, DCI can review the pros and cons of many locations (who knows, maybe some new, good ideas will actually arise out of 10 cities sending in proposals!).

I know this is an awfully pragmatic solution, but why not? Set up a small committee to review the proposals, set some guidelines and criteria, and whittle the list down to a manageable few. Having 3 or 4 cities interested raises the competitive stakes, and who knows, maybe Indy gets selected, but it becomes a sweeter deal.

Indianapolis came looking for us and there is no line out the DCI office door...we're looking both ways and the hall is empty. We've never turned anyone with a serious proposal away since 1995 when we had Dan (as Chairman of the BOD) go on the "apology tour" to East Lansing, MI, etc..., but WE'VE been turned away any number of times, there are larger and smaller cities that won't even give us the time of day!

At this point we're fairly well aware of who wants us, who does not want us and the hurdles we have to go through (contract stadium, city government, school districts, CVB and Chambers), as well as the hotel requirements and location necessities (airport, etc..) to convince a city to host our event...for a year.

I'm pretty positive that the office rent in Indy is NOT 'free.' I don't remember that being part of the presentation.

jeff

Maybe I missed it in here somewhere - does anyone know DCI's position on this offer? Interested / not interested / will look into it?

Mike

Thanks Mike.

As I asked in an earlier post ... what's DCI's position ... has an announcement been made? And ... before all heck breaks loose here ... what we're dealing with is a post on Pioneer's Web Site, comments from some on this thread thead that they've been privy to this "deal" ... but where's the confirmation? No one would like to see Indy get finals any more than me, and we live just three hours from Madison. We love to go to finals in Madison and plan to be there this year. However ... ask the right questions please ... what is DCI's take and announcement on this report? As a former ink-stained wretch (journalist) ... facts please.

By the way Fran, I found the soapbox.

Marilyn