I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a good prediction man.

Really.

It is.

Thank you. Just to clarify, in my opinion (and in my opinion only), I estimate that within the next 50 years, about 1000 shows that I myself would absolutely love could come out of the pre-2000 rules, but only 1 or 2 shows that I would absolutely love can be produced if amplified vocals were a necessary requirement. I also believe that there are many others that share this view, while not to such an extreme as I do.

Thank you. Just to clarify, in my opinion (and in my opinion only), I estimate that within the next 50 years, about 1000 shows that I myself would absolutely love could come out of the pre-2000 rules, but only 1 or 2 shows that I would absolutely love can be produced if amplified vocals were a necessary requirement. I also believe that there are many others that share this view, while not to such an extreme as I do.

Although I am not asking you to embrace amps and vocals (I am not in complete favor myself), but why limit (and predict) what you will like in the future?

That really is kind of sad to me.

Although I am not asking you to embrace amps and vocals (I am not in complete favor myself), but why limit (and predict) what you will like in the future?

That really is kind of sad to me.

Well, if you're not a fan of peanut butter...and someone offers you a peanut butter and chocolate bar...you can more or less say that you won't like it, based on your previous taste experiences with peanut butter.

Although, you could hate tomatoes...but really love catsup.

Your food analogy may vary. :P

Whew. Thank God this thread is from February.

Dude, for now. Go to the DCA website - click "Corps" then go to the various corps websites and check out the video and audio clips. You know what I would recomend? Start with the Bushwackers' - they have one Video clip from a year or two ago that is really good. Recomend them first because they are more modern and the easiest thing to relate to. Next, go watch the Renegades 2004 clip! Then...lastly, go check out the Cabs 2002 audio clip of Pictures of Spain. If this SHORT little on line experience doesn't fill you with all of the major food groups of drum corps, I don't know what will other than mabye watching the DCI legacy serious in reverse order. When you go through this, send me a private message and tell me your thoughts. I'm curious to see your reaction.

This may be a little OT.

One thing I've always been a little leery of DCA for is that I (with no experience whatsoever) was doubtful of the talent level...I've seen some senior corps at DCI shows and wasn't too impressed. I don't want to step on any toes here, but the talent level I'm looking to march with wasn't present at those shows.

However, I was impressed by the clips, the Renegades in particular. That's nothing like what I've seen in Sr. corps. So how would you rank the talent level of the top DCA corps in terms of DCI? And how are there spot openings when everyone comes back every year (no ageouts)?

Reading DCP it's almost like "DCI and junior corps is doomed within 5 years due to gas prices, woodwinds, amps, or all of the above." Is it really that bad? To be honest, reading all that's a little frustrating, but I still intend to march. It's nice to know, though, that brass and percussion is being preserved in DCA. Boy, those Renegades are somethin'!

[/rambling]

So how would you rank the talent level of the top DCA corps in terms of DCI?

[/rambling]

I wouldn't dare to "rank" DCA corps next to DCI. The "juniors," in general, play more demanding books ... and practice a helluva lot more than any age-neutral corps.

However, having covered DCA Finals for the last ten years for DC World, I can tell you that the overall talent level, show quality and demand on players has risen exponentially in this period. I can honestly say that shows that won in the 90s would be lucky to place 5th or 6th today.

Bucs' show last year was simply sublime. Renegades in '04 enertained me as much as ANY DCI corps has ever done. Minnesota's drum line is to die for, year in and year out. Bushwackers can play and march as cleanly as anyone. Empire can fill a srtadium, brass-wise.

Try to get to Rochester... you'll see what I mean.