I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

I'm being completely honest. Obviously, I'm speaking for myself here, but if I cold do anything with DCI, I would keep the format exactly how it was in 1999, and keep it that way, exactly that way, for the next 50 or so years. This means G bugles and no amps.

Now before you begin to say, "But what about the advent of asymetrical drill, or the groundbeaking Cavaliers' drill as of yet, or the recent emphasis on original music?" All of those things are fine, because they do nothing to change the traditional structure of the activity. Obviously I'm all for innovation, but I believe the activity should stick to containing acoustic brass and percussion plus colorguard.

So yes, this means no amplification of the pit or any other instruments, no narration, and no singing. Ever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I predict at least 1000 amazing shows could come out of the format used in 1999; shows using narration and singing, maybe 1 or 2.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are two choices now:

1) Go to a DCA show to get some old-school kicks.

2) Accept the rule change and try to process it as part of DCI's evolution.

I did #1 already. I'm still working on #2, though. :)

Edited by bawker

Well, there are two choices now:

1) Go to a DCA show to get some old-school kicks.

2) Accept the rule change and try to process it as part of DCI's evolution.

I did #1 already. I'm still working on #2, though. :)

I really hope that DCA continues to grow. It has historically been an east coast thing, with a few also from the Midwest. Now DCA has recently started a midwest division that might help their activity grow around here, I hope that they can continue to grow and give DCI some real competition.

Not that I don't like DCI, but if they have something they directly compete with, that might be a good thing.

I really hope that DCA continues to grow. It has historically been an east coast thing, with a few also from the Midwest. Now DCA has recently started a midwest division that might help their activity grow around here, I hope that they can continue to grow and give DCI some real competition.

Not that I don't like DCI, but if they have something they directly compete with, that might be a good thing.

Go DCA!!! The DCI directors have vision, if you don't agree with it you are not required to support it. We have choices, go DCA!

I hope some top DCI corps consider a move, it would be great.

I am not against change or "evolution" of drum & bugle corps. I have lived through many changes since joining the activity in 1979, I have enjoyed and supported most of them, even coming around and accepting the dance ideas colorguards use and actualy look forward to see what can come of it. That siad, I dont see anything grand or creative or groundbreaking or memorable coming from the amplified voice change. What has made history, what is embelished in our minds, what stands the test of time are those shows that truly pushed the creative envelope. Those shows that redefined the idiom while staying within the defined paramaters of drum & bugle corps.

Change for the sake of change is insulting. Insulting to those that watch and take in the ideas and those that perform those ideas, letting their true creativity go along the wayside for a crutch or a gimmic. Crutched and gimmics, in leiu of true talent and imagination never stand the test of time. They may seem cool or groundbreaking, but in the end are often passed over for the truly mindboggling shows. 2004 BAC will never be mentioned with the greatest shows of the 2000 - 2009 decade, neither will 2005 Blue Devils. As good as many think 05 Cades are/were...when the pendulum swings back to reality, when I dont know, but it will, its inevitable, this show will not be remembered for its ground breaking vocals or "drum speak"..the true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

I am not against change or "evolution" of drum & bugle corps. I have lived through many changes since joining the activity in 1979, I have enjoyed and supported most of them, even coming around and accepting the dance ideas colorguards use and actualy look forward to see what can come of it. That siad, I dont see anything grand or creative or groundbreaking or memorable coming from the amplified voice change. What has made history, what is embelished in our minds, what stands the test of time are those shows that truly pushed the creative envelope. Those shows that redefined the idiom while staying within the defined paramaters of drum & bugle corps.

Change for the sake of change is insulting. Insulting to those that watch and take in the ideas and those that perform those ideas, letting their true creativity go along the wayside for a crutch or a gimmic. Crutched and gimmics, in leiu of true talent and imagination never stand the test of time. They may seem cool or groundbreaking, but in the end are often passed over for the truly mindboggling shows. 2004 BAC will never be mentioned with the greatest shows of the 2000 - 2009 decade, neither will 2005 Blue Devils. As good as many think 05 Cades are/were...when the pendulum swings back to reality, when I dont know, but it will, its inevitable, this show will not be remembered for its ground breaking vocals or "drum speak"..the true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

Thank You....very well put! B) :angry:

~G~

You sir are great!! :angry::angry: If I had Super Bowl tickets I would give them to you....instead I shall buy you a beer!! :blink:

... true talent , and true creativity will rise to the top and really give us something to drop our jaws. Again, as in the past, I ask you, does anyone really walk away from a competition scratching their head is stunned disbelief asking themselves "Wow, what a really great narrator, I gotta go buy that corps shirt" or "I cant wait to dowload that mp3 of that corps, that guy talked amazing"......no, bottom line, drum & bugle corps is about drums, and bugles.......eventually, the activity will realize that...or it will die, ie: become something else, and drum & bugle corps will be no more.

~G~

Exactly. B)

In 2002 I was phsically stunned by how good Magic of Orlando was Prelims Just wasn't ready to witness such shear awesome excitement. I heard they were good but they were burning rubber the whole show.

Also in 2002 Cavies dropped my jaw more than once possibly 4 times with drill, and a horn line sound I had no idea could sound that amazing.

SCV pulled off musical excellence as well in '04 Even more enjoyable and intense as SCV '99.

Mom