I am completely against drum corps evolving or changing in any way, sh

can i have $250

please :angel:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ask me in april if i am not tapped out. sponsoring kids and saving for a house dont go hand in hand

This is the best post I have read in a long time. :rolleyes:

I apologize in advance for the length of this.

The polarizing change that would make drum corps really lose its identity are few but very distinctive: the addition of woodwinds, the addition of sousaphones, trombones, and concert french horns.

I would ask though: is Blast! marching band or drum corps?

Someone please sort that out if you can.

Anyway the addition of woodwinds, band instruments would throw a monkey wrench in the whole sound and appeal of a drum corps performance. I would say the same about amps - however - I disagree for 3 reasons: Blue Devils 2004, Crown 2004 and Cadets 2005.

These shows were impeccable and I feel, enhanced by the ability to amplify certain parts of their show.

Crown 2004 wisely used singing to great effect: teasing you with "Seasons of Love" before having the brass line follow with a swift kick to the pants.

2005 Blue Devils pit wouldn't have stood out as it did with the train effects, if they didn't amp the nuances called for in their parts.

Cadets 2005 threw in all kinds of special effects to make their show more than a simple musical presentation - but a theatrical one. I loved it - very deserving of its high score.

Amps used incorrectly is the worst possible thing to put in a drum corps show - and I could name some examples. I won't, but I have my list.

Amps done correctly can and does contribute positively to a drum corps show, and allows it to remain "drum corps".

Drum corps shows will differ in strategies, and people may anger at rule changes. Fine, no problem. Like it or leave it, no problem.

But as long as DCI positions themselves as a youth betterment activity - hollow threats of "taking our money elsewhere" do nothing for the participants. If you do that - at least go to DCA with it :)

What would they be doing if the activity didn't exist? This is the part where about 75% of you against the recent changes in the activity would say "screw them. let the kids find something else to do".

Personally, drum corps saved my skin. Had I not marched in 90, I would not have most of the blessings and achievements I do today.

We all have our ways we were helped by the activity.

It makes such a beneficial, positive impact in the lives of youth. You have to take that into account when bickering about the technicalities of how it is performed.

However, this all becomes a moot issue if and when DCI decides to incorporate as a business. Then the "betterment of youth" focus goes flying out the window. It becomes a money machine just like the NBA, which sucks. Then it will be a feeding frenzy. That change would be, IMHO, the worst possible one for DCI. The importance of the participants individually becomes next to nil.

It may be working for Blast! now - but when the run is over and the show ends - what's left?

As long as we support DCI as a youth-focused, non-profit activity, in whatever form it may be in, their run won't be over for a long, long time. If you don't like it, don't support it - no problem.

I do think the activity is worthwhile and gives a positive outlet for youth instead of being bored all summer - and you know what happens there - and it's not always work.

if the fans mean nothing, then why charge admission? why have booster clubs? why sell cds and dvd's?

I just love how the language gets used to serve whatever needs suit the poster.

I don't think I have seen one post to say that the fans mean nothing.

You asked three questions. Here are the three answers.

1. the kids

2. the kids

3. the kids

The fans are great. Professional sports is for the fans. A YOUTH activity is for the youth.

so then this youth activity doesn't need fans? :rolleyes:

Edited by bari_benzo

We have what I lovingly call a "mutant" college marching band out here in southern California, referred to as the Riverside Community College Marching Tigers.

Funny that this group should be mentioned. I was actually in the RCC Marching Tigers in 1989. Back at the time is was commonly referred to as the BD age out corps. We had a lot of BD type folks. And it was pre-Renegades and there weren't any west coast senior corps at that time. But then again, I lived in Riverside, California at the time.

Administratively and instructionally, RCC is a top-notch organization. Gary Locke was/is the penultimant politician. Official band of Riverside, charter busses to every event, shiny new horns, the works. Lead unit of the 101st Rose Parade even, of which I was a part of. TV commercials, BBQ's, et cetera. I think we even got fed at almost every event. Which is quite an undertaking for a group that often occupy's 5 plus charter busses. Personally I had issues related to Gary and opted not to be a part of it past the fall of '89. But it's a good organization.

As far as drumcorps, it is a different entity. And hopefully will remain different. I would have rather seen Trombones added before A&E and naration or vocals. Technically in the Bb arena, the Trombone is as close as it comes to a Bugle, next to an actual valveless bugle. And they can be very loud instruments. But then again, they are horrid marching instruments. A snappy horns up can literally destroy the horn. A 180 degree turn can literally take out no less than two heads at a close interval. But I would rather see trombones added before woodwinds were added.

Just my $0.02

Once again, another post to twist of the language to suit your needs. :sigh:

Never said you don't need the fans. Please find that in this thread.

I don't think you know how funny you are sometimes. :P

The fans are great. Professional sports is for the fans. A YOUTH activity is for the youth.

Music is for the ears of the listener. Without an audience. music is nothing

A youth activity may be for the kids, but the kids feed off the results of their accomplishments (the reaction of the crowd). Ever perform to an empty stadium? It's the most uncomfortable situation anyone can be put into... because there's nothing to feed off of.

Edited by bari_benzo

Sorry, but I just don't think that the issue of Drum Corps being unique to any other marching art form is a matter of opinion. It's a matter fact. Either it is or it isn't. But, calling it "an opinion" is a nice way to evade that fact for the sake of promoting what you WANT it to become. One of the best tools for conspiracy propaganda is calling a debate over facts a "difference of opinion". I call a spade a spade - and nothing else.

Of course it is a matter of opinion. I say DC and MB are all part of the same thing...you say they are different and unique. Two different OPINIONS on what DC is.