Trademark Tunes & Tributes

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Softly as I leave you should be Cavies, not Madison.

VK- Jaws and Magical Mystery Tour.

BD- Chicago III Suite.

Troopers- My choice would be The Cowboys.

Freelancers-Bellavia or The Bells

Guardsmen- Tiger of San Pedro

Troopers - Battle Hymn of the Republic

Sky Ryders - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

SCV - Send in the Clowns

Phantom - Elsa's Procession

During my meager three years in drum corps, I experienced a cameraderie that is unique in the drum corps activity. At some point during the season, two hornlines will find themselves near enough to turn and face one another and present a gift. That being probably some of the most beautiful music you are ever priviledged to hear on both sides. When playing to your 'opponent', you desperately want to sound your absolute best. I remember hearing each of the above corps present the hornline I was in with the music above. Just.....awesome. So much so, I can't even remember what we played back.

The song that whenever I hear it I imediately think of Santa Clara is

"Chava Ballet" from Fiddler on the Roof

It is my profoundest belief that it should be SCV's song.

I totally agree :music:

My Way - Dutch Boy - although I am a little biased. I don't think I would like to hear anyone else play it.

Edited by neddy

I totally agree :laugh:

john,

didn't the spaceline use a bass drum beat that consisted of the best bass drum beats of other drum corps? if so, do you remember which corps were represented. i know cavies and north star were two.

I just want to state something in regard to Somewhere over the Rainbow.

The Cavaliers have played and sang this song since 1951. Like You'll Never Walk Alone to our brothers in Madison, Rainbow has a special meaning to us who have marched in the Cavaliers. Even as of today.

Softly as I Leave You, although a great song, has no such "special ness". Unless you call the famous step-over done only twice in the early 80's a "trademark" I don't think you can compare Rainbow with Softly.

In regard to Skyriders and Rainbow, well, the Cavaliers obviously have no exclusive right to the song but I am not sure if the song has the same meaning to the FMM's of the Skyriders as it does to us; but I may be wrong. If longevity has anything to do with it we have played and sang the song for 54 years. We sing two songs before we enter the field; Rainbow and The Corps Song. For the words please refer to:

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/faq.pl?cm...d=1#question_26