Females To Make The Snare Line

Yeah, forgot to mention Angela.

Didn't Mandarins have an all girl bass line in '04? Maybe it was 4 and 1.....and I THINK it was the Mandarins. When walking to our semis warmup in 2004, I saw a bassline that had those numbers; Pacific Crest, perhaps??

Hahaha. No way. Our bass line in 04 was all guys. Anna Keck has been a Mandarins snare since 03, though. In 04, she marched along with a girl from Japan, Eriko. And in 05, another girl marched the snareline, Mayako, who is also from Japan. THis year, Anna is center and Mayako is returning.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year Cadets' center snare was a girl (Heidi). She was pretty intimidating, too. I was on the fence for their encore in Bristol and she was staring me down the whole time.

I remember that night; I was sitting right next to you.

Does Mark know about this? lol.

She's pretty intimidating in person too, but just not as scary. I've had the luck to hang out with a few of the girls in some of the Div I lines. TRUST ME they fit the personality of a drummer, and they're great people just to hang out with. I remember watching the girl snare drummer from SCV out chop a room full of guy drummers. I'm a horn player, but that was WICKED cool.

Just a few names I'm familiar with or have actually met, some that have been mentioned previously: Bobbie Delcastello-Martinez from '74-'75 Devs; Mary Gromko from '78-'80 27 and '81-'82 Freelancers, (along with Carol ? from Freelancers); Gigi Cuthbert from '85 SCV; Diane? from the infamous Northstar line and evetnually center in Garfield in the 80's; Cindy ? from Guardsmen, late 70's-'80.

I neglected to mention Jazelle from Crossmen "81? and for sure the '82 line and Peg? from '82 Phantom and Carla fron '82 Spirit/'84 Devs. I know that there have been some other gals in Spirit late 70's/'80 as well.

I just love topics that make people dig up the past :P

Just a few names I'm familiar with or have actually met, some that have been mentioned previously: Bobbie Delcastello-Martinez from '74-'75 Devs; Mary Gromko from '78-'80 27 and '81-'82 Freelancers, (along with Carol ? from Freelancers); Gigi Cuthbert from '85 SCV; Diane? from the infamous Northstar line and evetnually center in Garfield in the 80's; Cindy ? from Guardsmen, late 70's-'80.

I never knew that Gigi made the SCV line. I remember her starting out as a cymbal player in the Conquistadors back in what was it? '78/'79?? :laugh: . Amazing the things that you learn after all these years.

In 1989, SCV had one female in the snare line - Kim Farrell.

Her yearbook entry says she was from the city of Oregon, Wisconsin.

Here's the Snare pic from our 89 yearbook. Kim's all the way on the left.

(You might also be able to see the "phantom" hiding behind her in this pic. B) )

snares1-rs2.jpg'

FYI, the dark haired guy in the back center is the over-age snare from Great Brittain who was kicked out just before we got to Kansas City. The annual photos were taken while the corps was still living in California pre-tour. At the time the photo was taken, the corps obviously didn't know he was a fraud. His name was omitted from the yearbook but the decision was made not to omit the entire snare section's picture.

Hey, cool picture! I marched with 2 of those guys - Bob Barker in the Knights and Dave Oster in EK.

Mike French still has that intense look, let alone hands!

In 1985 Spirit had a female snare drummer, Paula (can't remember her last name!) who had come from Glassmen.

In 1989 & 1990, Spirit also had a female snare drummer, Susan Reinbold. She eventually married Glen (Turtle) Carter, who marched Tenors with Spirit from 1982-1985.