Females To Make The Snare Line

In 1989, SCV had one female in the snare line - Kim Farrell.

Her yearbook entry says she was from the city of Oregon, Wisconsin.

Here's the Snare pic from our 89 yearbook. Kim's all the way on the left.

(You might also be able to see the "phantom" hiding behind her in this pic. B) )

snares1-rs2.jpg'

FYI, the dark haired guy in the back center is the over-age snare from Great Brittain who was kicked out just before we got to Kansas City. The annual photos were taken while the corps was still living in California pre-tour. At the time the photo was taken, the corps obviously didn't know he was a fraud. His name was omitted from the yearbook but the decision was made not to omit the entire snare section's picture.

Nice mullets!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Females in a snare line":

I remember a lady from "Way Back" who marched snare in the old Milford Connecticut 'Shoreliners'. I believe her name was Dianne "Cherokee" Marino, and she more than held her own against the best drummers of that era.

Elphaba

Curious what "way back" means, year-wise. We've seen posts from as far back as 1977.

Vernee Grecny beat the gender barrier in 1970 in VK's snare line.

Garry

I met Kelly last year for the St Paddys day Parade with the Renegades. First time marching with a girl snare. Cool girl with great chops!

Mandarins' to two basses were girls in 01-02...

I dont recall any others, but I've been wrong on many occasions. heres a pic from the dci forzato when the KK 2004 bass line was up. http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=2...66-89c5f16861eb" target="_blank">KK 2004 Bass Line If I recall properly, Southwind had a female or two the past two years. Anyone able to confirm?

They had a lot in '04, I think. I remember a tenor girl, and some others in the battery as well. I know at least one girl on their bass line this coming year.

Blue Knights had two girls in the snareline in '04, right?

Edited by Jared_mello

I believe her name was "Hardcastle" back then, but not sure. Some of the guys that marched with her could confirm.

There was also a young lady that marched in Spirit's snare line in 1982, who went on to march a couple of years with Blue Devils, Carla Azar.... "Azar the Star"... LOL

Later, AA

Nope...Carla only marched 84 with BD...her age out year. GREAT chops (she'd HAVE to have them, to play in a Float line!)...and a whole lot easier ont he eyes than looking at Rob Sirat, Mike Keddy, or Mike "Charles Manson" Lore"

Mike "Charles Manson" Lore"

Would that be th Mike Lore that I marched with in 27th from Athol Ma (I Think). If it is I see the Chuckie Manson resemblence, but we used to call him Dead Eye b**bs b**bs

Maybe John remembers this, but 27 did have a lady snare player in the 70's, don't know the first year...:) My husband said one marched in with him in 78 though...

Mike "Charles Manson" Lore"

Would that be th Mike Lore that I marched with in 27th from Athol Ma (I Think). If it is I see the Chuckie Manson resemblence, but we used to call him Dead Eye b**bs b**bs

Y'know....I dcon't remember....I THINK he may be a Lancer alum....somone who marched the BD line in 84 might know.

Maybe John remembers this, but 27 did have a lady snare player in the 70's, don't know the first year...:) My husband said one marched in with him in 78 though...

Mary Gromko marched 1978 throguh 1980 as a Lancer Snare. Lisa Parkin marched 1980 only as a snare