Best looking Drums

G- when you say "Vistalite's" are those the see through ones? 2-7 had very clear and very heaving ones in 70 going into 71 I think it was. I'm not sure if they made it to the field.....

That's right, Nanc... the "Vistalite's" were clear. Some clear clear, and some colored clear. Muchacho's had red clear Vistalites, and Guardsmen had orange clear Vistalites. I did not know that 27th had vistalites at one time...interesting. I recall the Guardsmen had problems with the tenors shells cracking where the slings/harness were attached.

They would probably look kinda goofy in today's corps, but they were cool back then.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Finals

8405-465-016f.jpg

Evil Bass Tower

n12410677_30681075_4639.jpg

Something a little different. (Maybe not.) Who had the coolest looking drums? I know there are a lot of opinions out there. Let's hear some. I'll go first, (I'm old school). I like the early, mid '70's Santa Clara, with their

brassy/copper look. Way cool. Also, '78 Blue Devils with the white pearl finish and '76 Blue Devils North Tenors. Also, the late '70's Vanguard red drums and their Red Tympani that had the "slingerland" tenor look.

Hmmm........I would say the Garfield Cadets back in 1986......the texture was similar to a disco ball (Little squares)......really shinny.....

The short sextet player who was in Garfield showed me his drums up close.......

This was also the same night that I saw the greatest DCI show of all time......1986 BD

Triple Forte

I think this was from 1979 - clear maybe vistalite:

1979_dci_program_color_photo_of_kil.jpg

The pic is from '78, from Whitewater, I think. The line went through some changes in terms of equipment; at one point, I want to say that Camerata had the snares with tenors attached to them as well as the octobons. Was a nice concept, but WAAAAAY ahead of its time (though the concert tymps on the front sideline caught on within a year or two).

Those octobons sounded very cool. They looked very heavy as well. I watched Kilties from the sidelines in '78. (Props to the rifle dude did a flip and popped his knee and another guy in stopping to pop it back in so he could continue on. It was rather ugly to watch.

Mom

PS. Some good video of some lines from '05

http://www.vicfirth.com/features/DCI2005.html

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Props to '86-'87 SCV green Pearls- I Needed a set with that finish, and found out that it would be an expensive special order, and would take 6 months to deliver. Then, in about '93 I walked into my local drum shop (www.explorersdrums.com) and saw a 6 piece kit in identical color-I bought the drum set I still use today. The first Pearl Masters birch recording custom ever in the midwest- straight from the NAMM show.

That being said, my faves are the '95(?) Madison Yamahas that had the actual material from the sash as a wrap. Awesome match to the uni!